[5]

[Monday July, 18th, 1988]

***

It was morning and Michael has just brought me back home. I was beyond afraid of walking through that door. I knew Denise was gonna be full of questions and I needed to prepare for them. I had all night to prepare though. Instead, Michael and I had a glass of cognac together. He barely told me anything about his life. He only confirmed that he's a dangerous person and that I should now watch my surroundings if we would be with each other often. I found him to be very cocky if he had it in his mind that I'd be by his side for a long time.

"Look who's finally home Rave!" Denise said as she saw me drag myself through the door. I was pretty exhausted from staying up most of the night.

"Not now Denise, I'm starting to get a migraine." I said as I rubbed my temples.

"Oh now something is wrong with you. What happened to coming home last night? Did you forget about Raven? I had to pay the babysitter extra from her staying as long as she did!" Denise lectures. I sighed, knowing I wouldn't hear the end of this.

"I..Denise I need to tell you something." I said.

"What is it?"

"I've been with him." I said.

"Him? Who's him?"

"You know who..Michael." She gasped as I said his name. She blankly stared at me, unable to form words. "I wanted to tell you but I was scared. I didn't want you to be mad at me."

"How long?" She asked.

"It wasn't long at all..but Denise he came on to me! I told him I couldn't see him but he just insists—"

"That's how he fucking gets you Kirsten. That's how he gets you!" She yelled. She began to walk back and forth, unable to fantom this. "I knew it was too late from the moment he saw you."

"What's so bad about him anyway? Why is he so dangerous?" I asked for maybe the hundredth time.

"God Kirsten, I'm surprised he didn't tell you. He's the upcoming Don of the most feared gang in Chicago." She finally explains and my eyes widen.

"B-But he doesn't look like—"

"His looks don't matter. He's bad news and I hope you take in what I'm saying." She said. "He's only using you. Just like he does any other woman in that club."

"Is that where you were all night? With him?" She asks and I slowly nod. "God, he's already invited you to his house."

"We didn't do anything last night." I told her truthfully.

"Good. After today, I don't want you around him anymore. I can't bare losing you because of him and his bullshit. I've seen too many good girls go." Denise said then walked away. I cringed at her last words. I had even more questions in my mind, but for Michael. I found myself on the couch, holding my head in my hands.

***

"I'm actually scared Simone, I've already let this guy in my life." I said. Simone invited me over to her house for dinner and I brought my baby sister along with with so she could play with Simone's daughter, Sage.

"Maybe there's more to it.." Simone trailed off.

"What's more to say? He's in a deadly gang! I'm scared to even look at him more than ever!" I exclaimed. Simone reaches over the table and grabbed my hand, giving it a squeeze. I hadn't realized I was shaking until she did that. "I'm so scared to run into him again."

"Stop stressing over this. Maybe Denise is exaggerating the situation." Simone suggests.

"Exaggerating?"