Because This Is My Life

As I park into the driveway, I notice that the mover’s truck is already there. That’s good- I’ll be able to sneak into the house within the chaos and quickly fix my smeared makeup before anyone can notice I’ve been crying.

                I don’t understand how of all people, Seventeen hired Heath to be my partner.

                My finger taps the button to lock the car doors and I quickly sneak into the house, going unnoticed due to the movers who are carrying boxes in and out of the house. I reach the bathroom and open the door to go in- but when I open it, Hannah looks up from the sink and her eyes widen.

                “Are you okay?” She immediately asks as her eyes lock onto my bloodshot ones with smeared mascara under them.

                “Yeah, I’m fine.”

                She sighs and locks the door behind me, making sure no one can hear us. “I’m your best friend. You can trust me.”

                I hesitate to answer her, but finally give in. “I ran into Heath today.”

                Her eyes widen as she hands me a tissue. “What did he say?”

                “Well… First of all, he’s my new partner in Seventeen. We’re co-running an article together.”

                “That’s not that bad- I mean, I’m sure he’ll be busy with Sienn-”

                “They broke up. She faked the whole pregnancy, he thinks. He told me that he wanted to get back together.” The words feel strange to say- I thought Heath would be a part of my history from now on, but I guess he’s bounced back into my life. I take a deep breath and look up. “He wants to get back together.”

                “Does he know you’re with Niall?”

                “Of course. And he said that he didn’t want to break us up.”

                “So what the Hell did he expect? Fucking buddies? I never liked him, you know. Niall is everything that Heath will never be. Trust me, just ignore him.”

                “I can’t! I can try to forget about him day and night but he’s the first person I ever fell in love with- a part of me will never let go of that!” My eyes start to burn with tears again. Everything that made sense to me just came crumbling down. I wish he was out of my life again. This should be a happy day- I got a new job and I’m moving into my first apartment with Niall. Why does everything feel so wrong?

                I quickly dab my eyes with the tissue and groan.

                Hannah smiles at me. “There will always be a bump in the road that will try to keep you from moving forward, but trust me when I say that you and Niall are perfect for each other. He loves you in a way Heath never did, okay?” She gives me a hug and then opens the door again. “I’ll see you later. Talk to me if you ever need anything, okay?”

                “Thanks.” I smile and pick up the makeup remover, working on fixing my appearance.

                There’s a knock at the door as soon as I finish fixing my makeup. Liam walks in. “Hey, Sadie.”

                “Hey, Liam.” I smile genuinely at him. He’s a sweetheart.

                “Niall is looking for you! He says the movers have taken all the boxes and you’re ready to go to the new apartment to unpack.” He grins. “Congrats.”