|Prologue|

Prologue

Prologue

'I can do this-just step a foot forward and it'll all be over. There's nothing left to live for anymore,' the girl whispered to herself as her body trembled in fear. She closed her eyes and released the metal railings on the bridge. Feeling the wind rushing by her side, a green and bright paradise appeared in her mind. The sound of her pounding heart was loud in her ears.

As she felt herself slowly tipping over, fear and anxiety filled her mind. Immediately, she flicked her eyelids open and grabbed whatever she could behind-the railings once again. Feeling the cold metal in her hands relieved her as she tried to calm her breathing. She cursed out loud for being such a coward. This wasn't the first.

"I would count to three if I were you," a deep voice said, not too far from her.

Her body jolted in surprise as she looked around her but her eyes couldn't adjust to the darkness, no matter how much she tried.

"Count to three but end on two. Otherwise, you'll chicken out at three," the voice added nonchalantly.

"Who goes there?" she asked out loud, staring hard into the darkness. "You sound brave enough, why don't you take my place instead?

"Because I'm not you," it replied.

"Well!" she yelled, "Why don't you-"

"Because I'm not Emelie," it replied, with short pauses between his words.

Emelie gasped in surprise. How on Earth did this man know her name? How did he even find her in a place like this?

"How'd you know my name?" Emelie stammered. She loosened her grip on the railings and stepped aside, away from the edge of the bridge. Her heart was still beating rapidly in her chest.

"Why ask a question when you're going to die anyway?" it replied.

Emelie turned her head towards where the ghostly voice was heard.

"What's the point of being curious when all you want is to die?" it added.

Emelie walked slowly towards the voice as it said, "And if I'll answer your question, you might have second thoughts about jumping off the bridge. I don't want to interfere about what you want." A silhouette of a man could be seen under the shadow of a big, leafless tree in front of her. After waiting impatiently for her reply, he stepped forward under the flickering lamp post.

"A week ago, a man jumped off here," he whispered, turning his head away from her.

Emelie looked at him and waited for him to say more. It's been a while since she had seen a clean, healthy-looking, young man who looked like he was no older than 25. She questioned herself if this man looked like he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and bags of gold under his bed. His dark hair seemed to shine under the dim light and his grey eyes gave not much attention to her.

"You wouldn't want to stop yourself again, right?"

"Have you. . . been stalking me?" Emelie stuttered out, "Why, you're part of the hidden government, aren't you?"

"You could say that," he replied with his hands in his pockets. "About the stalking, I mean. But don't be flattered, you're not the only one I've been watching. . ."

What a creep! The little voice inside her head exclaimed in disgust.

"Emelie, am I correct?" He asked with his eyes half-closed. "Emelie, what is this hidden government that you speak of? Such a government exists in a place like this?"

"Yes, I'm Emelie. . . and you are?" Emelie asked, ignoring the man's curiosity while her eyes still wandered around the delicate features of the young man. How is he wearing a neat, black suit and shiny, new-looking shoes with the world rotting day by day? He looked like he traveled in time, Emelie thought to herself, remembering the old stories and theories she have read in the past years.

"Speaking to?" he asked, no expression was on his face but deep down, he was in utter confusion.

"Your name, I mean. Something you call yourself, I guess."

"Ah! Right, of course," he talked like he was back in the 90's who was trying to blend into the modern world. "My name, of course. Is. . ." he looked around him, his grey eyes going left and right swiftly and his body swayed side to side. "Doug," he finally said and started to walk towards Emelie, who stood her ground.

"Doug? As in Douglass?" Emelie doubted, "Douglass who?"

"Douglass who?" he questioned once again. "No, no, not Douglass, just Doug."

"Don't you have a last name?"

"Ah! Yes, of course! Last name," the words were released oddly from his mouth, like he was unfamiliar with his own voice. "Doug. . . Peter."

Emelie squinted her eyes in disbelief. "Doug Peter? Peter's your last name?" She scoffed.

The man nodded with no expression. He was now only a foot away from Emelie. The rugged girl with blonde, unkempt hair crossed her arms across her chest and stared at him. "You're awful at lying."

"Yes, I agree. But I think I know a thing or two," he replied. He took a step forward and blinked twice at Emelie.

"Who are you, really?" Emelie asked once again, her patience growing weary from her.

The man hesitated to answer but opened his mouth anyway, "I can't tell you. If I do, you may never see light again."

Emelie chuckled and slapped her own arm. "What, you're going to punch the living daylights out of me?"

Finally, for the first time, the man smirked, his white teeth showing. "No. Not in that way."