|Black as Coal|

Chapter 14: Black as Coal

Emelie never grew tired of seeing the color green. She missed walking in the forest; it was even more beautiful than how she remembered it. The sounds of rustling and crunching resonated around; almost like music to her ears, but the sounds echoing over her head were her favorite. It wasn't just the rustle of trees--a variety of small birds whistled above, beyond the branches and leaves that sheltered them from the sun, although some of the light peeked through, highlighting more of the green. The thin rays of light reminded her of life, of hope that maybe somehow, something or someone out there would miracally make the world back to the way it was before. If not that, then perhaps make it a little better, where existing humans could continue living, not to find happiness, but to find meaning, and purpose. She looked at Doug when she thought about it, and he looked back at her, with a faint smile.

Their walk through the forest was quiet, but it wasn't gloomy. The hum of nature brought them to a state of tranquility. Although they all knew that this was only temporary. They were aware that the sun won't stay for long, and soon darkness will take over once more.

Johnny earlier took an effort to do introductions, but it didn't interest the majority. He didn't speak for over an hour, but when he heard Henry and Penny talking about Elaine, he had asked about her. Penny didn't answer him, and when Henry had asked why, Ramsey said, 'So what, you'd feel better if she was a bad kid, is that it?' He then kept his mouth shut after that, for good this time.

Emelie didn't like the way they treated Johnny. She heard their conversations, but said nothing. It was understood well why they were like that towards him. No matter how much Johnny wanted to prove that he was harmless, he was still a cherno, and would never change. He couldn't admit to himself that he felt somewhat ashamed by it.

The group stopped by a small stream, sheltering under a cool shade when their shadows puddled beneath their feet. Paige was the first one that sat down and washed her oily face with the cold, gushing water. When her hands left her face, she flinched when there was suddenly a figure next to her.

"You seem really worn out," said Doug, letting the water run through his hand.

"Well," Paige flicked her matted hair, "You look. . ." Her eyes slowly and carefully fell down, from Doug's face to his torso. When she heard Henry's laugh from a short distance, she snapped out of her train of thoughts. "Fine. You look fine."

Doug blinked and until now, still wondered why Paige was the only woman who eyed him differently, "How are you, really?"

"Look, Doug," she sighed and wiped her wet hands on her pants, "I don't know if, like--maybe there's a part of you in there that somehow uhm--" she smiled to herself in embarrassment, "--Remembers me in any way possible, but uhm, I hope that you do."

They stared at each other for a while before Doug's eyebrows furrowed, "I'm not sure I'm following."

"David, the uh," she scratched her head, "The owner of the body that you took, is what I meant."