|Buried in Sorrows|

Chapter 13: Buried in Sorrows

The rain had stopped, but the tears were still pouring down when they saw whatever that seemed to be like a mannequin that lay on the wet grass. Ramsey was relieved for a second, until he noticed that Matteo's limbs were at awkward angles; his head was in a way that he could not possibly be sleeping, and his chest remained still. "Matteo!" Penny screamed inside her clasped hands. As she started to run towards the body, Ramsey firmly grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. He raised his gun. With shaking hands, he aimed for Doug's head. This time, he had it in him to shoot. Doug was still crouched near Matteo's lifeless body, while Johnny wasn't in the right state of mind to do anything. It was his first time seeing a gun.

Ramsey couldn't look at his best friend's body, it would be too much for him to handle, but it was inevitable since Doug was still close to him. He steadied his breaths, inhaled, and squeezed the slippery trigger, but a body suddenly pushed the barrel away, making the bullet go deep into the bark of a tree instead. Ramsey cursed under his breath, looking at the person who had disrupted his shot.

Paige let out a scream and Penny gripped Henry's small hand tightly.

To no surprise, it was Emelie. "Don't you ever shoot him!" she exclaimed, gripping the gun's barrel with her trembling hand.

"Emelie, open your bloody eyes," Ramsey said, pointing towards Doug. "You see who he's with? A damn cherno!"

"He's different," Doug corrected, standing up to his feet. "I'm sure of it, he is. He has no bad intentions."

"He's still one of them. An evil entity," Ramsey snapped, pushing Emelie aside. "Stay behind."

Doug folded his soaked coat and put it on top of his arm as he said, "He's one of the lesser evil."

Ramsey shook his head, "Evil is evil." His shotgun was still in his hand.

Doug didn't speak for a moment. Johnny walked up to him cautiously and asked, "What do we do now, Doug?"

"Stay put. You're a threat to them, Johnny. I'm afraid I can't change that."

Ramsey extended his hand out in front of the others when Doug took a step forward. "Don't you dare take another step, you hear?"

"I do," Doug replied, looking at Emelie, who was already looking at him. She stared at him with big, attentive eyes while he stared back with a blank face. Within a full minute, he finally spoke, "I'm taking her with me."

"In hell, you're not!" Ramsey yelled sharply.

"She's not safe with you anymore. None of you are, but she's my only concern."

Emelie's lips parted from each other. She wasn't feeling shivering from the cold anymore.

"No, she's staying with us," Ramsey gave a quick glance at Emelie, who shot a glare at him.