|The Miracle|

Chapter 8: The Miracle

She leaned against his shoulder as they walked through the busy school's hallway. Students around were loud and rowdy, but to them, it seemed like they were the only one around. Paige looked at David with squinted eyes--her smile was over the moon. He smiled on one side and mouthed the words 'I love you.' 'How much?' Paige mouthed back. "Very much," he replied, his voice overpowering the people around them. He seemed different to her, and unfortunately strange. Even his voice was different--but it didn't mind her. Nothing could bother her, as long as David loved her back, she was happy. Even though she knew he wouldn't do so forever, she wanted to swallow every moment that he did.

Paige's eyes shot open as she gasped. Sitting up, she wiped the huge beads of sweat on her forehead with the back of her hand. Her other hand felt the ground, and almost immediately, she jolted up as soon as she realized she was somewhere she had never been to.

"What the hell, what the hell. . ." she mumbled under her breath, her eyes wandering around aimlessly. There wasn't much to be seen, except for naked trees and patches of brown grass here and there. She was sure that she was supposed to be headed back to the mall, but something struck her and she went unconscious. She rubbed her flat stomach as it growled for food. She worried how long she was out, maybe a few hours, or even days. With her heart pounding, she started to walk through repetitive trees with no sense of direction.

She thought about the others--were they trying to find her? She could only hope that they can. She was aware that she didn't do as much work as the others but she was sure that they didn't mind, as she was sure that they were worried for her. They had to be, especially Penny.

"Ramsey, for the last time, I'm going with you two!" Penny raised her voice, now annoyed that Ramsey denied her request to come with them in search for Paige.

Ramsey rubbed his temples and mumbled, "For heaven's sake, please, just stay here with the kids."

"You know what you sound like right now?" Penny snapped, putting her hands through the holes of her thick jacket, "Like a darn, typical husband who wouldn't let his wife work! No one would marry you if they knew you were like that, you sad, sad man."

Ramsey could only roll his eyes in response. He was about to talk back again, but Matteo spoke up, "Penny's right. The more people, the better. I'm sure Doug and Emelie aren't the kind of people who would harm children."

Ramsey growled and looked at the two, "I don't know about Doug."

Emelie, who was sitting on the floor with Doug, gave him a cold stare. Doug, on the other hand, couldn't care less.

Penny raised her hands up in frustration, "Ugh, just give it up! I am coming with and that's final!" She walked towards Ramsey, now inches away from him, she snapped, "We were supposed to look for her earlier but you guys just had to be so freaking slow coming back here! I bet your eyes were always on Doug, that's why it took you ages to come back." She zipped her jacket aggressively and walked towards Emelie and Doug.