|A Windy Day|

Chapter 7: A Windy Day

Three chernos were seen not too far from the two girls. One of them was stroking Elaine's hair, and whispered something in her ear. The naive child giggled and her chubby cheeks popped more when she smiled out of delight . It was her first time seeing a floating man, and it amazed her. "But I thought magic isn't real," she had said. Henry, on the other hand, was terrorized with fear. Being two years older than Elaine, and slightly had better morals, he knew that they had to get away. Fast.

He kept wanting to pull Elaine away but she wouldn't budge--she was too interested upon knowing these 'magical men', and curiosity got the best of her. When one of the chernos noticed what Henry was trying to do, it growled at him in a beast-like manner--a low, croaking sound; something a human cannot possibly make. The frightened boy's breaths were hitched when the cherno's face, or whatever that was left of it, moved closer towards his', and whispered, "Your soul is cleaner than her, but both of you are pure."

It was the most disturbing thing that Henry had ever seen; blood-shot eyes that were almost popping out of its sockets, an empty space where a nose was once was, high, bony cheekbones on each side of its face, and when it talked, their thin, crooked mouths weren't in sync with their voices.

Henry prayed, hoping that someone would come find them. He knew that it was a bad idea to leave the mall premises without anyone knowing, and the fact that the flower garden wasn't near; Elaine was too stubborn--she had wanted to pick flowers. Henry had tried to convince her to stay but Elaine kept refusing, so he had no choice but to go with her. He closed his eyes and once again, prayed under his breath. He felt his pants getting slightly wet.

"There is no god," a cherno grumbled near his ear, "There is no more."

Emelie started to sweat buckets even though the wind never stopped blowing today, but that wasn't the reason why she was frozen in place. It seemed that her feet were buried in the ground. Her body felt two times heavier, as she lost the strength to move a muscle. She was trembling with horror, and endless of disturbing thoughts and bizarre assumptions were running in her mind. She wanted to flee, yet she also wanted to sprint towards the kids with no hesitation. She could not make up her mind. Her sense of hearing was also failing--Paige's voice became fuzzy in the background.

"Ramsey! Matteo! T-There's--" Paige's voice was hoarse and unnatural, like a shrill of terror. Her lower lip trembled before she shouted again, "The kids!"

Emelie's eyes watered as she had forgotten to blink, but when she did, a blurry figure appeared in front of her, and wondered for a moment whose back she was staring at. The man then walked towards the chernos and the kids swiftly. She gasped when she got to her senses, and came to the realization that it was Doug. She suddenly felt a heap of courage, a loud snap inside of her, and suddenly, her body jolted. Without thinking, she jogged after him, but made sure he was the one in front. She looked back at Paige, who was already running back to the mall.