|Not Like the Others|

Chapter 9: Not Like the Others

Nobody finished their meals that night except for Henry, who quietly excused himself to go to Elaine's room. He looked back at the adults when he stood in the middle of the stairs. What Doug said hadn't worried him, nothing could at this moment, besides Elaine's well-being. He didn't really know who Doug was, and the lack of information about him somehow made Henry uncomfortable, even when he had saved Elaine. All he knew was that Doug wasn't human. The thought of Doug being ones of the chernos wasn't too far from his mind too. The same thoughts goes for Penny and Matteo, who silently followed the little boy after a while, leaving Doug and Emelie to talk among themselves.

Emelie was still pinching her sleeve as her heart continued to race in her chest. "Please, take a seat. I want to talk about it," she couldn't look at his face, she didn't need to anyway. She knew that he still had a blank gaze. She looked at his black shoes instead, pointing in her direction. "Sit down, Doug," she repeated. The sight of Doug standing up made her stomach churn. She knew that if he walked away, she couldn't do anything about it. She knew that she was in no position in his life to hold him back.

Doug reluctantly obeyed and sat on a chair across her. "Yes?"

"Why. . . Why are you leaving?"

"I can't stay much longer."

Emelie chewed her lip as Ramsey was the first to come in her mind. "Is it about--"

Doug shook his head as he said, "No, it's not about Ramsey."

"Then what is it? Whatever it is, we can fix it," she almost stammered. She pinched herself for sounding so desperate. Even though the group was slowly warming up to her, Doug gave off a different aura, a different feeling. Emelie had trouble understanding whatever Doug was before, but now it didn't really seem to bother her. All she wanted right now was for him to stay.

"You've misunderstood," he replied, "There's nothing wrong."

It was silent for a few seconds as Emelie thought hard to herself. What could be wrong? Whatever could be possibly wrong that would make someone like Doug leave?

"I've told you before--" he added, moving his chair closer to her, "--that I was curious about the world. I won't be able to feed my curiosity if I stayed here. I want to go on." Doug looked at her with concern now, hoping she would look at him. It never occurred to him that Emelie would be this affected. He had thought that the group already brought her joy, and that he was no longer needed. "Besides, if I had wanted to settle down somewhere, I would have already, with you. Back in your old home."

"But you wouldn't want to stay anywhere," she muttered, bobbing her head up and down like she was agreeing with herself.

"Because I can't," he said.

"What if I go with you?" Her response was almost immediate, and she finally looked at him with glossy, hopeful eyes. "Remember what you said about that cherno in the old man's body? What if he comes after me?"