1

It was a warm Friday afternoon. I wasn't looking at where I was going, and I bumped into someone. "Oh, sorry," I reached down to help him pick up the books he dropped.

He had blond hair, and he wearing a blue sweatshirt that matched his eyes. "Thanks."

And then I ran away before he could say anything else.

I haven't been very good at talking to people the same age as me, especially adults, ever since my mom ran off to Hawaii without even notifying me beforehand.

My mom had been the mayor of Mid-Fais ever since I was born. But she'd divorced my dad three years ago, when she found out who he really was. I was surprised he was able to hide it from her for thirteen years. She had no idea who I really was, either. My dad made me promise to keep it a secret from her.

So now I was on my way to back to city hall. I'd just finished eating lunch. My mom left with no word, leaving no choice but for me to become the next mayor. Even though I was only 16. I'd even had to drop out of high school. I bet that boy is on his way back from school, I thought.

"You swear you don't know why your mother left?"

I sighed and shook my head for the hundredth time. "I told you, Ms. Bunter. I've emailed her every day for a week, but nothing." I felt tears come to my eyes. Any normal teenager would be at the mall or doing algebra homework, I thought. Not trying to run an entire city and solve the mystery of their selfish mom. "Mr. Madison? You promise we'll have the election soon?" I was just the substitute while the city elected a new mayor.

"Yes, Miss Leila," Mr. Madison replied. He was my assistant/secretary/only other person who worked at city hall.

Ms. Bunter, who worked for the newspaper, wanted to get the latest scoop on the mystery, and she wouldn't leave me alone about it, even though I know nothing. "Ms. Bunter," Mr. Madison led her to the door. "If you come back, I will be forced to call the police. We don't know anything about this. Good day."

"Thanks, Mr. Madison." I brushed my brown bangs out of my face so I could see the stack of papers beyond my electric blue glasses. I grabbed a pen so I could get to work. Something's gotta change, I wrote, not even thinking of what I should've been writing. I can't go on like this much longer.

I took my headphones out of my ears carefully so I wouldn't knock the hood off my head. I was in disguise, because if people found out the mayor of their beloved town was going to the city jail to visit someone she dearly loved, they'd go crazy.

"Trey Jackson," I told the guard, even though I didn't need to say anything at all. I visited him every Friday, so the guard was quite fond of me.

"Dad," I whispered, fast-walking down the hall. "Here." I squeezed the basket through the bars. 

He grabbed the basket of food from me and took all the food out to view the hammer at the bottom. "Is this for the plan?"

I nodded. "I'm letting you hold onto it so I don't forget it, though. I going to give it to one of the people down there. While the guard checks out the commotion, I'm going to grab the keys and you'll be freed."

"Next week, right?"

"Right."

My dad saw the guard coming and threw the food back into the basket. "Oh, why thank you for this food, my little lightning bolt."

"You're welcome, Dad!" I gushed.

"I'll see you next week!" As soon as the guard passed us, our faces turned serious. "When we take over the city," he chuckled.

As soon as I got to my apartment, I went straight to the bathroom, took off my glasses so I could stare at the mark between my eyes. "Give me a sign. I just want to know what I should do."