3

The next day I started to wonder if breaking my dad out of jail was the right decision. I mean, at least I'd be with him... and maybe helping him take over the city with fill that emptiness, that hole just above my stomach.

I had my head in my hands when the door opened. I straightened up to see Mason, that boy from yesterday. And the day before. "Why are you back so soon?" I questioned. "Oh, we must've given you the wrong paper. Sorry. I'll go tell Mr. Madison."

I had just started to get up when Mason blurted, "No, no. I just... came to check on you." He looked around. "Has anything... suspicious happened today?"

"Oh, is that all." I said flatly. "No."

Just then, a man in a green suit appeared out of nowhere. I groaned.

See, Mid-Fais has a reputation for not only being the biggest city in the state, but it has a tendency for being prone to supervillians. Which meant there were a lot of superheroes. We were the city with the most supers in the world. The man who'd just walked in was a villain named Greed Goblin.

Greed Goblin blew Mason out of the building. "Morning, Little Miss Mayor! How's your mommy?" He taunted. Clearly he had been keeping up with the news. 

I sighed, not wanting to have to tell him who I was, since he knew me.

I mean, 'cause everyone knows the mayor.

It's funny how in superhero comics the mayor is always helpless. However, fiction and real life are not the same. I was very much not helpless, but this was not the time nor place to reveal to the world that Hey! I'm a-

Then a super in a blue suit ran in, interrupting my thoughts. "Miss Mayor, I'm Dash Boy, and don't worry about that boy that just fell down the stairs. Besides minor bruising, he said he's alright." I'd never seen him around the city before, although that could be due to the fact that there's so many supers. Maybe we'd just never crossed paths.

"Are you sure?" I was genuinely worried. Usually I don't care about other people...

He nodded and turned to Greed Goblin. "Well hello, Greedy. It's been awhile. I wish we had time to chat, but unfortunately it's time for you to go." Dash Boy eventually succeeded at grabbing GG by the ankles and then ran out the door so fast I would have missed it if I had blinked. No wonder he was called Dash Boy. My guess was that his power was speed.

Then Mason burst through the door. "Well, you only missed everything." I said in a sarcastic tone.

Mason grinned. "Oh, no. I saw it. A blue blur and a green blur came out of the doors, and they went all the way to the edge of the city. It was amazing."

I couldn't help but smile. "Are you alright?"

Mason nodded. "And you?"

"Oh, I'm fine," I glanced around. "I mean, besides this mess."

Mason bent over to pick up a couple papers. "Here." Our fingers brushed each other when I grabbed the paper. We  awkwardly stared at each other for a second. Mason was wide-eyed and his face was red, and I could tell I had a similar expression.

"Oh, sorry!" he let go of the paper like it was a hot potato.

"Yeah, no, it's my fault," I mumbled. "I can clean it up myself. It's fine. You can leave."

"Oh, uh, okay," Mason began slowly shuffling to the door.

"What, you have something to say?" I looked up from my stack of papers, my voice with a hint of edge. It's not that I wanted to be rude or anything, I just couldn't help it... 

Mason shook his head. "No," he said, walking to the door. "It's just I knew Greed Goblin was on his way and stuff and I wanted to let you know and everything, but he's gone now, so yeah, I guess I'll just go."

"You, you were so helpful," I muttered, but when I looked up he was gone. I didn't expect him to actually leave. It left me feeling disappointed, but, of course, that was nothing new.