16

"Alright, the votes are in."

Pound. Pound. Pound. Pound.

"The next mayor of Mid-Fais is-"

"Hey, look out!"

Pound. Pound. Pound pound pound poundpoundpoundPOUNDPOUNDPOUNDPOUNDPOUNDPOUND

I sat up, sweating. I realized that the pounding was my heart trying to beat its way out of my chest. I tried to comfort myself, since nobody else could. I told myself that it was only a nightmare and that water did actually flood the whole city during the election. But it was no use. I cried. I was alone. What was the point of people caring for me if they weren't there when I needed them most? 

I kept my promise and hung signs all around town during my lunch break, but I couldn't stop thinking about that dream. What did it mean? Would it happen in real life? Would water come and sweep over everything? I figured I should ask Mason and Sunshine. Then I shivered. The weather was getting colder every day.

Finally, Mason showed up. I had to wait all afternoon, since it was Friday. I threw my arms around him, even though he was cold from outside, and hugged him hard.

When I didn't let go, he asked, "Everything okay, Leila?"

Finally, I let go. "Where's Sunny?"

"Oh, she started Spirit Club today. They meet every Friday. She said for me to go on without her. She'll be here later."

I didn't really want Mr. Madison to overhear about my nightmare. "Do you want to take a walk? I mean, I know you just walked here, but-"

"Sure." He had a warming smile.

"And then, water swept over everything and drowned us all. It was terrifying. And I woke up alone."

Mason squeezed my hand. "That does sound scary. I'm sorry."

"But I'm worried," I said. "It was more vivid than anything I've every seen. I know I have a bit of psychic ability, but that's never happened before."

Mason stopped. "Are you actually suggesting this could come true?"

"It might. I surprise myself with what I can do all the time."

"Such as?"

"Well... actually make friends. You and Sunny and even Mr. Madison."

"You know..." Mason began blushing again. "I've always wanted to be... more than..."

"I know," I interrupted. I loved the way he blushed when he talked about being in love with me.

"Um... tomorrow night, do you finally want to..."

I nodded. "Yes. I'll go on a date with you." The words sent shivers down his spine, since we'd been avoiding it this whole time. I guess it made him nervous. "But for now, let's focus on today."

Finally, Mason asks, "Where are we going?"

I smiled as we walked into my apartment complex. I knew my dad wasn't home, he was out campaigning for himself. I opened the door to my small apartment. "This is home. Which I have to share with my dad. I try to avoid him at all costs."

"I really am sorry. I wish you had somewhere else to stay." Mason followed me to the couch and we sat down.

"That's okay, because if we weren't here, I couldn't show you what I want to show you. No one's ever seen it before except me and my dad."