26

"Woah, this box is heavy!" I grunted as I set it down by the door. Sunny and I were at Mason's apartment, helping him pack up.

Sunny giggled as she lifted a box with ease. "What a weakling," she teased. "I've held quite a few boxes in my day."

"Me too," Mason grabbed two boxes. "Maybe we have strength powers, too!"

I rolled my eyes. "Very funny, guys. Some of us have lived in the same apartment their whole lives."

Just then, Mason's phone rang. It wasn't a regular ringtone, it sounded like a siren. He immediately set the cardboard boxes down and answered the phone. "Alright, got it. Be there in two minutes." He hung up and turned to Sunny. "Villain attack in town square. Mr. Madison heard all the ruckus."

Sunny nodded and set her boxes down. "Oh... but what about Leila?"

"If this is my dad's work, and it probably is, he hasn't told me anything about this attack. Whatever. I'll just go home."

"Wait," Mason looked at me, and then to Sunny. "I don't think she's lying. Let's just bring her with us."

Sunny turned to me, searching my eyes for any hint of dishonesty. This time I was telling the truth. I was almost a little offended that they didn't trust me, but I hardly believed I was telling the truth myself. "You're telling the truth? And you'll try and help the heroes?"

I nodded. "But we need to hurry before any serious damage is done."

Mason nodded. "Okay then, let's go."

I found my dad in the town square, but not as a villain. It was Lester Rostov, phony glasses and all. There were villains surrounding him and a crowd watching. "Oh no! These villains are just horrible! I wish they would leave me alone, since I'm against them! I hope that terrible Leila Jackson isn't among them, since she turned out to be a villain! Good thing that I'm not actually related to her!"

I felt like I had been punched in the gut. Now my own dad wasn't claiming to be related to me, just so he could win the election. The villains were pretending to attack him, but they weren't actually doing any damage. "Oh, no..." Sunny, or should I say Super Sun, turned to me and Dash Boy. "What do we do?"

"I know what you should do," a familiar voice rang out, sending a chill down my spine. "You should protect the poor innocent man from us terrible villains. Isn't that right, Lightinga?"

I saw what they were trying to do. After it was revealed I was a villain, my dad didn't want to be revealed too, so he was making a big show like he was being captured by them. Just as I was thinking of what we could do to stop them, Greedy pulled me closer to him, holding me as if he owned me.

"Ahem," said Dash Boy, also known as Mason, my boyfriend, who was clearly bewildered to see Greed Goblin snaking his arm over my stomach. "Who is this, Lightinga?"

I wanted to break away, to assure Mason that everything was okay, I wasn't cheating on him, but I just... couldn't. I felt weak. To make matters worse, Greedy opened his mouth. "I'm her boyfriend, got a problem with that?" He looked down at me. "What were you doing hanging around a bunch of heroes, anyway?"

Dash Boy obviously did have a problem with that, and he tried to examine my face for any hint of what was going on, but I only stared at the ground, too ashamed to say anything.

Finally, Super Sun spoke up. "Lightinga isn't a villain anymore. She's a hero now."

"Is this true?" Greedy glared at me, digging his nails into my arm.

"N-No..." I lied.

Sunny was shocked. Mason just looked hurt.

"Heh," Greedy grunted and tugged on my arm as he began to walk away, but then he stopped and looked back at my friends with a grin. "Rule number one of hero work: Never trust a villain."