5

I wasn't sure why I'd said I needed to find it, or what it even was. I decided it was probably the thing that would fill that emptiness just above my stomach.

I arrived at the jail feeling like I could throw up, although I knew I wouldn't since everything came up at the ice cream shop. Just before I went in, I pulled the hood over my head, so no one would know I was the mayor. This could ruin my reputation. "Trey Jackson," I said to the guard, trembling. I was so nervous. "H-hi, Dad." My father was practically bouncing. Clearly he was ready to get out of jail.

I waited till the guard was on the phone and took the hammer. "Hey," I said to a woman in a cell farther down the hall. "You know what would be really funny? If we prank the guy in the cell next door. Here, take the hammer and hit the wall."

The lady stared at me for a moment, then furrowed her eyebrows. "Why would I do that?"

"You can keep the hammer," I assured her. "I bet you could do some damage to those bars. You look pretty strong."

The lady snickered and grabbed the hammer. I ran back to where my dad was standing. "We're a-go." I was so nervous, I thought I would faint.

The lady started pounding at the wall to her right and the guard got up and ran over to see the commotion. Like I'd thought, he left the keys on his desk. I grabbed them, ran to my dad's cell, and unlocked the door. He hit me in the cheek when he pushed the door open, leaving a nasty bruise, but I followed him out of the jail. I heard "Hey! Stop! I'll call the police!" From the guard, but we kept running.

"Follow me, Dad," I gasped as we ran. "I know where to go."

We ran around the corner to find two supers coming after us. Dash Boy from before and a girl in a yellow suit with bright pink hair. Good thing I had my disguise, since they would've noticed I was the mayor. I held onto my hood, not daring to risk it falling off my head. When Dash Boy got in front of my dad, he thrust his palm forward and lightning struck Dash Boy and he fell to the ground. We ran around him. The girl made the sun shine directly on us so we couldn't see, but I shot lightning in her direction, although I wasn't as powerful as my dad. All I did was mess up her concentration.

We ran into the apartment building unseen. We climbed the stairs to my apartment. My dad locked the door behind us and closed the windows as I twisted a vase on the bookshelf in my living room and it split in two. "In here, Dad."

He smiled when we entered the Lightning Lair. "Good to be back home."

"You know you're going to have to stay down here so you don't ruin my reputation, right?"

He sat on a chair in the corner, stretching. "Of course. That was obvious. We can't blow your cover. Now, get me some food. They don't feed well in jail."