13

I had been sitting in my room for the last 24 hours. I hadn't gone to work. I hadn't even gone out of my apartment. The only time I left my room was to go to the bathroom and the kitchen.

My dad hadn't said anything about it, as he was working hard down in the Lair. So I was surprised when he pounded on the door the next morning. "Open up, Lightbulb!" He screeched.

I wondered what was wrong, and under regular circumstances, I would have. But I didn't really feel like it today. "No."

"Now!" My dad screamed. He seemed really mad, and Dad is a scary person. So I opened the door a crack, and he shoved a newspaper in my face. "What is this?!

I grabbed the newspaper. The front page read:

MAYOR LEILA JACKSON REVEALED TO BE SUPERVILLAIN

Then there was a picture of me running through the rain yesterday.

Oh, crap. I was in for it.

"I can't believe you!" Dad's face was turning red. "I can't believe you're that stupid! You gave us away!"

I felt myself start to sweat. "It was an accident, Dad! I never meant for it to happen!"

"Well, it happened! You know, you were annoying before, but now you're really pushing it! You're fired! Get out!"

I stood up to shout back at him, but of course I was still shorter. "You can't do that! I'm your daughter! And this is my apartment!"

"I don't care! And it was mine before it was yours!" Both of our foreheads were throbbing. "I don't care that you're my daughter! I don't care you're the mayor! I don't care you don't have anywhere to go! Just get out!"

I grabbed my purse and left. Luckily, I had keys to the apartment, so I could get back in if I needed to later. Not that I wanted to, but my stuff was still inside.

I went to a coffee shop and got a drink to cool down. I thought about going to City Hall so I could tell Mr. Madison I was alright, but I wasn't, not really. Everyone I knew betrayed me.

That night, I snuck back into the apartment, since I didn't have anywhere else to go, but I couldn't sleep. All these bad thoughts swirled around in my mind. Nobody loves me. Not even my own parents. I'd hoped something would change, but I didn't mean nobody liking me!

Then I got out of bed. My heart was pounding. I checked the clock as I walked by. 1:00 AM. Nobody would be awake.

Good.

No, not good! No one would be around to save me from what I was about to do!

Exactly. No one would help me anyway.

These two voices wouldn't stop fighting in my head.

Nobody was going to notice I'm gone, since nobody cared about me anyway.

Why was I thinking these things?!

I walked outside wearing nothing but a tank top, some shorts, and my glasses, which seemed a bit unnecessary now. 

Then I flew up to find the tallest skyscraper I could.

My heart was pounding so hard.

Good to know that'll be the last thing I'll ever hear, I thought sarcastically.

I got to the top of the tallest skyscraper. The highest point in the city. I peered over the edge. It was a long way down.

The longer, the better.

Agh!

I was so scared, but I couldn't control myself. I jumped off.

I knew I could easily save myself, but I didn't.

I just let myself fall.

As the ground came closer to my face, I thought, so this is how it ends. I wonder what people will think when they see me lying on the sidewalk. What am I saying? No one cares about me.

This is it. Goodbye, world. And I closed my eyes so I didn't have to see when I hit the ground.

Except, I didn't hit the ground.