23

Tick... Tick... Tick

The clock on the wall was driving Hunter insane yet despite it he still wasn't even sure how long Isabella had been behind those blue swinging doors while doctors faught to save her life.

To Hunter it felt like days but it could've been minutes or hours but that didn't matter - what did matter was his mate, the person he loved with his while heart and soul was behind that door in the gateway between living and dying.

Hunter was constantly asking for updates, so much so, the staff were getting frustrated with him (despite them usually being terrified of him due to his high status). Each time Hunter shouted he wanted an update they would sigh, take a deep breath (as if they were counting to 10 to keep calm) and say

"We haven't heard any news, we would be sure to tell you as soon as we knew"

There was already a whole in the wall from where the anger and fear had gotten too much for Hunter so he had punched the wall, he had the red, swollen knuckles to show for it.

The only thing keeping Hunter under any sort of control was the fact that the bond between himself and Isabella was still intact, barely but it was still there. It was well known that the bond being broken either through death or rejection was one of the worst feelings you could experience, death would be better than living through that which was why suicide rates were so high.

Hunter heaved himself into the chair, he wasn't sure why because for some reason pacing seemed to release some of the tension. Head in his hands, Hunter ran through his time with Isabella, a time that had been far too short filled with too much fear, hurt and sadness.

Yet somehow, the time with Isabella had been the best times of his life. Of course if things could be different Hunter would do what it took in a second but when Hunter thought of the bad times, an image of Isabella's smile took over.

A hand fell gently onto Hunter's shoulder making him jump, he had been so deep into his thoughts he hadn't heard anyone come close but he knew who it was instantly.

"Jackson..."

"How's things mate... sorry stupid question" Jackson spluttered out

Even though he didn't smile, just have a fumbling, nervous Jackson around made Hunter feel a fraction better.

"I haven't heard any news yet" Hunter shrugged, he still hadn't removed his hands from around his head.

"The babies?" Jackson asked, he was in as much shock as Hunter was. Jackson had come to know and love Isabella not only as his Queen but also his friend - she was one of the kindest and most caring people he had ever met and he couldn't imagine a world without her.

The last time Jackson had seen Isabella, she had been mid-labour and of course she looked tired and sweaty but she also looked radiant and ready to meet her children. As Jackson left that room he was silently cheering her on knowing she would do amazing and before long she would be a mother and Hunter would be a father... nobody, least of all Jackson expected this.

If anyone was going to get through this, Isabella would. Jackson also know she was the strongest person he had ever known.

"Want to see them?" Hunter whispered lifting his head up to look at Jackson, he said this because since Isabella has been taken into surgery he hadn't seen them either and he wanted too... he just wasn't sure he could do it alone.

"Of course, lead the way"

Jackson wanted to see the babies, he was excited to meet them but under normal circumstances he would've said 'not right now' as he was also waiting for news of Isabella but he saw the silent pleading look in Hunters eyes, his friend was incredibly sad and hurting hard so he would do what he could to ease the pain even if only a little bit.

-

"Just in here..." Hunter said but he stood in front of the door not making a move to open it. From inside there was a shrill cry.

Jackson stepped forward and turned the door handle to open it, he pushed the door open but waited for Hunter to go first which he eventually did after taking a deep breath.

Walking over to the cots that were wide by side, Hunter didn't make a move to pick up the crying baby. It was clearly a little boy and little girl as the nurses had wrapped them up in a pink and blue blanket, the little girl wrapped tightly in her pink blanket was red faced and screaming.

"Do you want me to...?" Jackson said not finishing his sentence, he wasn't even sure that Hunter had held any babies before let alone his own.

A nod from Hutner made Jackson gently reach out and scoop up the wriggling figure into the crook of his arm, being the eldest of 6 children meant he was used to handling children.

Rocking from side to side, Jackson soon soothed her, her eyes looked heavy from all the crying.

"Hey you, I'm your uncle Jackson and I'll always look after you"

But she was soon crying again joined not long after by the little boy still in his cot.

"They want their... mummy" Hunter whispered his voice breaking on the word mummy

"She'll be back soon, you'll see little one" Jackson said to the little girl who was still unnamed. Hunter wanted to wait till he had Isabella back.

"But will she? Will she come back to me?" Hunter said his eyes filling with tears

Silently, Jackson unwrapped both babies from their blankets and lay them next to each other in the same cot. They wiggled up against each other still crying for a moment before realising they had each other which caused them to settle down and fall back to sleep.

"Of course she's coming back you daft man" Jackson said trying to make light of the awful situation that was going on around them "you think she'd leave you and these two? She knows you'd try to give the little ones a cheeseburger before they 2 days old"

Hunter did his best to smile at his best friend but a tear soon fell from his eye which he didn't even bother to try and wipe away.

"Why are things so hard? She deserves the best in the world, someone so pure and amazing shouldn't share a life with me - look at everything she has gone through" Hunter explained running his hand through his hair in frustration letting it stick up in all directions.

"All she wants is you just like you want her. Think about all the shit she was going through before she met you, you think she was better there?" Jackson asked

"NO!" Hunter growled angrily

"Things were never going to be easy Hunter but think about all the good things you have experienced. You have found the person you love more than life itself and she will be okay" Jackson placed a comforting arm on Hunters shoulder "I know she will"

Almost as if Jackson had it perfectly time, a nurse who Hunter had been asking for updates every 2 minutes came rushing into the room.

"King, Beta... the Queen is out of surgery"

A/N:

I know, i know! I'm terrible at updating and if I could do this all day, every day I would but I apologise for not updating as much as I should or would like too.

Any questions, queries, ideas, any sort of input email: werewolfstoriesxo@outlook.co.uk

Side note - I have been put up for a Watty!!! How the hell that happened I have no idea but I am so thankful for each and everyone of the people reading my books - I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

Always like and comment - especially comment because I love reading them!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart,

Werewolfstoriesxo