Chapter 1

I watch as my friend J writes I love you in pen on her arm. Then I move my attention to Alex's arm and we all watch as those same words appear before our eyes. Alex smiles at the words and kisses J on her cheek.

Everyone knew they were soulmates way back in our freshman year and we were all proven right at Alex's sixteenth b-day party. We all said "I told you so!" when Alex wrote "hey" on her arm and it showed up on J's arm.

"Hey, Eva you just turned eighteen yesterday, have you tried writing to your soulmate yet?" Alex questions me as Liz sits down on the other side of the table. I scan the lunchroom looking at all the people that could possibly be my soulmate.

"No." I state and look at Alex who pouts.

"Why not?" she asks staring at me with concern. I look into her eyes that are riddled with worry and shrug.

"I don't want to write and have it be to a popular kid, I don't do well with rejection. Just because the world tells us we're supposed to be together doesn't mean they'll listen. Besides, I want to keep fantasizing that my soulmate is Call Me Karizma or 2004 Gerard Way, maybe even Billie Eilish or Cameron Monaghan..." I trail off and look at Alex who frowns and shrugs.

"You do you I guess." Alex says and holds onto J's hand. She traces the word love on her arm and I sigh. Not everyone wants to be told who they're gonna end up with. Personally I just wanna live my life.

I look over to Liz who is shoveling food into her mouth and taking no time to breathe. She sees me staring and slows down. She then drops her fork and sighs. While swallowing her food she looks me in the eyes.

"You should try. Trust me, you're not gonna be paired up with any of those hooligans. We're talking about your soulmate for crying out loud! Whoever it is that you're connected to is perfect for you and you're perfect for them. Stop worrying and write something on your damn arm!"

I look over at J and Alex and they both nod along with Liz. I snatch the pen from J's hand and throw my arms up in surrender.

"I'll do it later tonight OK?"

Everyone around the table smiles and we all get up to walk to our next classes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit on my bed chewing on the back of the ballpoint pen I stole from J. I scroll through the music on my phone until I find Wish You Were Gay. I sit and think of what to write if I even decide to write. Over and over I click my pen and go back and forth between deciding to write and deciding not to write. I slowly inch my pen towards my empty arm and finally feel the cold pen touch my arm. I pull the pen down making a line on my pale skin and write out one simple word.

Hello?

I watch with anticipation, waiting for a response.

Nothing.

I lay back on my bed with a sigh and pause the music. Of course no one answered. Then I felt something cold in my arm, it felt like the pen writing.

Yo what up.

I hope you liked it!

     - Eli :P