Chapter 6: Homecoming

+As I walk into the little store, a dinging noise shutters the dead-silence. Various goods are scattered across the floor. The pungent odor of gasoline fills the air. I carefully avoid crushing them. I wonder what it must've been like to work in a place like this. It must've been a slow business. Probably something enjoyable to do, being able to meet new people and sell them things they need. At St. Jerome's I was never able to make new friends. It wasn't the fact that everyone else was as crazy as me, but the fear of losing something. That's probably why I never took the chance of doing pretty much anything. I felt anything would just get up and leave like my parents. But they didn't leave, they were taken from me...everything taken from me... now and then. I could've done something, but then again what could have I done? My world is gone. My family is gone. What was I supposed to do now? I can't keep wandering around the town until someone shows up. I need to get out of here. But how? This town and those four white walls are all I have really ever known. Which way am I supposed to go, and where? I wouldn't even know anybody.

The skittering of a metal can snaps me out of my deep thought. It rolls on it's side towards my direction. Then slowly, it stops. I pick it up and examine it. How did this get here?

"GET DOWN! GET DOWN!" Falling to the floor in panic, I hold my arms over and shield my head. Gunfire erupts behind me and I realize I'm trembling. Make it stop make it stop please make it stop.

It ceases. Looking up in caution, I can see two young men gathering supplies from the collapsing shelves. There was another holding a gun towards the ceiling.

"Hey, alright Harry it's shot. Get this guy and the stuff and let's get outta here." Looking closer now I can see why they were shooting. A security camera lay in pieces by the destruction of the gun. They apparently didn't want to be seen. One of the boys named Harry helps me up and hands me a water bottle.

"Sorry, we didn't mean to scare you. We just don't like the sickos who did this watching us. "

"What do you mean? Who's watching us?" I ask talking the bottle.

Stuffing his backpack with lighters, the other replies,

"It's kind of a long story."

"All we've got is time Len, might as well tell him."

"Not here," He slings the backpack over his shoulder and walks out the store. "They might be watching."

The other gazes towards me and continues,

"You can come with us. It's dangerous to stay out after dark." Harry chases after Len leaving me awestruck. Soon, the other young man follows calling on a small radio:

"Alyssa, it's all clear. We're bringing another one up to the base."

"Wait! Hold on!" I yell after them. They were at least friendly. Maybe I might have a chance of escaping after all.

+Len leads us up a hill towards the forest. My stomach begins to churn. The other two men linger behind me carrying their bulging backpacks on their backs as if they were camels.

"So Matt," Len asks. "Where are you from?"

"St. Jerome's,"

"The mental hospital," His eyes grow wide. "Are you kidding me?" He says, surprised.

"Check it out Len we've got a Looney on our trail!" The two men in the back give each other a high five.

"Knock it off J.D. or do I have to bring up your little problem to the newcomer?"

"Oh man you wouldn't!"

"What did he do?" I ask innocently with curiosity.

"Yeah, see now he's interested. It would sure be a shame to keep it from him..." Len remarks with his hand under his chin in a pondering state.