Chapter 8: Memories

Chapter 8: Memories

Daylight emerges...

Where did the crazy man go? Lifting myself off the floor, a black substance drips from above causing me to freeze in horror.

Black blood starts to seep back into the corpse...

No, no this can't be happening. My hand wanders towards my nose cautiously. Looking back, my fingers are black and sticky. My body begins to shake and I remember how I was back in the office. How I was in the dream. My blood was red. No this can't be right.

It's only a matter of time...

Kill us all...

The voices replay in my head.

"Shut up! JUST SHUT UP!" I clasp and pull my ears to make it stop.

You can't fight it...

Help me Matt...

"Why is it so hard to breathe? What's wrong with the air?" I gasp.

Then it stops. The voices, the screaming it just disappears. And I'm alone again on the balcony with the blinding sun burning my eyes.

"Maaaatttttt-" A voice calls from below. Sweat beads at the top of my head. They're coming for me. Quickly wiping the blood away I make my way downstairs. They can't know now. They can't know. What's going on?

"MATT!"

No this isn't real.

+ J.D. and Harry wait for me at the bottom of the stairs, their expressions in a state of confusion.

"What are you doin' up there?" J.D. asks. "We gotta go fix the van."

"I..." I don't know what to say. How can I explain what had happened? I don't even believe it now.

"We don't have time for curiosity, man. We gotta go." Leading me outside Harry stares at my face curiously.

"You're bleeding." He points out.

"I fell. It's nothing." I quickly answer rushing to catch up with J.D. and leaving Harry behind.

Leading me around the church next to the graveyard, we make our way towards a dented, blue van with two people underneath it, coated in black. What are they doing, I think.

"Hey Frank, how's it look so far?" Harry asks. Pulling himself out from underneath the car, he pulls off his glasses leaving him looking like a raccoon. I give a slight chuckle. Luckily, no one heard it.

"Well, we still need those tires."

"Got it,"

"And we still need to find more gas to get it across the bridge."

"Alright, I'll get some of the others to go with me to pick it up. You stay here and work on the car."

"Guess I'm ahead then."

"Grab a couple of bags and get Smith and Lisa to follow us to the gas station." He tells J.D. and me.

"Alright, come on." I follow J.D. back to the graveyard where a woman and a man sit and load empty handguns.

"About time you showed up." To my surprise, there were two women. I guess I got confused because her hair was so short. Or was it her jacket? Feeling stupid, I shut myself up.

"Come on, we've got to go get more gas."

"Now?" She sounds shocked. "We just got some yesterday!"

"Well we still need more, sis. So I recommend that you get off your ass and help." With a threatening look etched on her face, she gets up and throws the gun to the floor.