Chapter 10: Origins

Chapter 10: Origins

"It's been so long since I've seen that book..." He trails off staring at the ground, remembering.

"Why should I find this book for you?" I question.

"I'll give you a way out of the town, away from his gate."

"Who's he?"

"The Hell Angel," This was never going to stop.

"How do I know you're not one of them? Why should I trust you?"

Do you want to find your friends?"

"Who am I to say they're my friends. They left me to die!"

"Then what is Humanity without fault? People make mistakes, and some things try to alter reality to make you blind."

"What are you saying?" I demand.

"Perhaps the person you call Len didn't leave you intentionally. Maybe someone or something pulled the shades to keep you from peering inside the window, to keep you from seeing what really happened." At first I begin to ask how he knew Len's name. Then I realize these things apparently knew everything.

The light soon grows dimmer on his face. I'm running out of time. Sighing, I move away the plan of leaving before sunset. There's no guarantee he's telling the truth, but it's worth a shot.

"Where can I find the book,"

"I'm not sure, but no matter, you already know where it is."

No, that's why I'm asking you. I don't know," Tapping the center of his head, he stares at me with an unsettling gesture.

"You do, in here."

"What are you talking about?" I ask confused.

"Remember," He simply asks. Rising from his place, he walks away, finishing. "Just remember."

"How can I remember-" I stop myself to see he's already long gone.

+Under your own steam, it seems lonelier. Slapping my soaked shoes against the running streets I make way towards the school. I'm not sure why, maybe it will be there because he's a kid. Limping with my hands wrapped around my clenching stomach I moan every minute or so. It never rained so hard before in Redwire. Usually it was just cloudy, but now it seemed more condemned with the mass destruction. Shivering with the passing wind, I hold my arms to stop them from shaking so much, trying to ease the pain in my abdomen. I feel like I'm in my own version of hell. Coughing violently I bend over to spit out more blood.

I needed help.

"LEN!" I cough out. Letting my hair seep to the ground I spit out more and more until my teeth feel like they're stained red. Watching it flow down the street, in some kind of sick hope I follow the bloody river, hoping it would lead me to someone, anyone.

"LEN! ANN! Anyone...please..." I spat out again. Slipping towards random buildings, I try to remember which one was the school. I know Len and I had passed by here earlier. The shattered and burnt buildings all looked so blurry, and alike. My eyes couldn't make out anything, they felt too wet, and they were even too red to even look at my hand.

Picking up the pace, I trudge farther into the pouring rain. Until I come across a red building. It wasn't exactly broken down. On the other hand, pieces of crumpling wall are still falling onto the bloodstained floor. Approaching with pre-caution a voice tells me to head back and leave while I still had a chance.

No, I had to finish this. I am tired of running, tired of being afraid. I am tired of being the useless weakling. Inhaling a deep breath, I duck past the debris covering the entrance and head into hell.