Chapter 11: The End

Chapter 11: The End

My hands claw at the armrests furiously. Somehow, I manage to keep my grin. He walks into the room and before he can even make out the greeting, I have his throat in my grasp.

"F-f-a-ahhh..." He sputters. My eyes burn with fury I slam his body against the wall.

"You dare tamper with my work, BOY?" I question. A dribble of black blood seeps down his chin. Letting him fall to the floor I quickly make my way towards chamber: CS 4-b89. Gripping the collar of his shirt and his hair in the other hand I hurl him into the compartment and lock the barrier door. Slamming his weary hands against the small circular window I smile and wave from the other end. Turning the various knobs, a liquid substance falls from above and his muffled screams fill his last remaining air. I despise sabotage.

My feet blindly lead me towards the bridge that leads to the highway. The gas station is the same one where I met Len, J.D., and Harry. The sun has completely disappeared now, darkness filling in the cracks where the moon shone past the clouds. It felt like one of my nightmares walking in this darkness. Careful where I rook a step, my hands reach out and search for the door leading into the connivance store. My hands grip onto a handle and I pull open the strangely heavy door.

"Hello!" I call out but with no answer. They must have left long ago. Closing the door, I begin to walk down the road. The friends I thought I had, I finally had, and now they're gone. I remember why I never kept anything at St. Jerome's. Everything eventually gets up and leaves without you. In this world, is everyone on their own?

A sudden realization comes to my mind. I start to run.

"LEN! ANN! SOMEBODY!" I call out into the night. They have to be alive. They just have to. My breath gives out short and I fall to the ground in a heap.

"Anybody...?" With my heart racing in my ears, the chuckle of the voice echoes in my mind. I'm so tired. I don't want to play anymore. Trying to stomach regret, I wish I never left the hospital now. I never wanted to get out like this. Never like this. In the distance, the shrill of a demon awakens. Dear God, I'm going to die.

God, please help me. I plead. Standing wearily, the moonlight answers my call. Staring into it's eyes right in front of me I walk towards the bright light. The sound of a horn blares in my ears. Just before I realize what's happening I turn back and notice black feathers falling from the sky. I turn around and open my mouth to scream but nothing comes out by the time the light touches my face. It's warm and calming. Like whiteout it takes the black away, it erases everything. I don't feel any pain. I can't move anything. Game over. Did we win or did we lose? Where did everything go?

Why does the air feel so heavy?

The light burns into everything, my sight, my memory, blocking out any other thing that comes in. Is the surgery over? I wonder why they're talking so much. The men in the white masks face one another and nod in agreement. The air is so heavy, I can't breathe.

"Give him another minute, he's pulling through." One said.

"Should we check on the boy?" The other asked.

The other replied with apathy, but I couldn't make out what he was saying. Suffocating me with a mask, I fall into blackness.

Sir...Sir, Can you hear us?

Opening my eyes and rising from the hospital bed, two young men in bright blue uniforms greet me with gratitude. One rests an ice-cold hand on my forehead. The other asks again if I'm alright. Where's Dr. Pumaill?

"Where...Where am I?" I reply weakly.

"Don't worry son, we'll have you to a hospital soon." More clearly now, I can see one of the men wasn't as young as he appeared before. The other left the room scribbling down something on a clipboard, the way Dr. Pumaill did.