Chapter Two

"How do you feel being married?" Emily asks, standing with me at the reception. Aiden wandered off to talk to one of his cousins.

"Amazing." I say dreamily.

"I don't think I've ever seen you this happy." Ali says, rubbing my arm.

"I don't think I've ever been this happy." I tell her.

"When are you going to do your surprise for him?" Emily asks.

"Which one?" I reply.

"Both. Either."

"I was going to do them together." I say.

"Well you should do it now." Ali says. "He's not with you. He won't see it coming."

"You're right." I push myself out of my chair and walk over to the DJ.

"Is it time?" he asks me.

"Yeah." I nod.

He sets up the microphone and a stool, and then he shuts off the music, causing everyone to look over here.

"Is it on?" I ask him. He flips the switch on the microphone and taps it. The sound of him tapping goes through the reception area and anyone who wasn't looking before is definitely looking now. "Thanks." I say, and I step up onto the stage, putting the microphone on the stand. Aiden is standing closer now, watching me with raised eyebrows. "I know, I know," I wave him off. "We said no speeches. Well this isn't a speech. Kind of. Well, not really." I take a shaky deep breath. "Uh, when I was eleven and you were fourteen, do you remember when we went camping?" I ask. "With the whole family? I'm talking extended relatives? We had the cabin?" he nods. "That was the first day I realized I liked you as more than friend. The closer the wedding got, the more I thought about that day, and I've been trying for months baby, literally months, to try to explain that feeling, but I couldn't. and then I was listening to music one day, and I heard this song, and I mean, I knew it before, but I never heard it, you know? But a few months ago I heard it, and the only thing I could think about was that day when I realized I liked you. So I started taking guitar lessons, and now I'm going to play the song for you."

His eyes fill with excitement.

The DJ hands me an acoustic electric guitar.

"Also, since I'm doing this with an audience, I would like to remind everyone that I don't play guitar. I specialize in singing along with the radio, not physically singing without background, so if I suck, as least pretend to like it."

"She doesn't suck." Aiden says, but nobody can hear him. He hops up on stage. "She doesn't suck. She could be famous." He kisses me head and hops off stage. He looks so excited.

"Okay, well..." I clear my throat nervously. "I changed the lyrics to say he instead of she. Anyways, whatever, here is goes."

I sit down on the stool and shift slightly, positioning the guitar in my hands.

I'm so nervous, I'm surprised I haven't thrown up yet.

I swallow my fears and start to strum the notes.

At the right moment, I start to sing.

What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up and I can't back down
I've been losing so much time

Aiden has his hands on his mouth and he's smiling so big. The reception is outside under the trees with lanterns for lights. It's beautiful. Everything is beautiful. I keep going, starting the part that reminds me of that day.

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you

All of the things that I want to say just aren't coming out right
I'm tripping on words
You've got my head spinning
I don't know where to go from here

Aiden is smiling with his hands over his mouth and I'm smiling as I sing.

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to prove
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you

There's something about you now
I can't quite figure out
Everything he does is beautiful
Everything he does is right

'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you
And me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to prove
And it's you and me and all of the people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you
What day is it? And in what month?
This clock never seemed so alive

The last note fades into silence and everyone starts clapping.

The DJ takes the guitar from me and I stand up.

"I love you," I tell him. "You're an incredible person, and I am so lucky to call you my husband. But that's not all. I'm not done yet."

"There's more?" he asks, wiping his wet eyes.

"Yeah." I smile. "Ali?"

My best friend walks up, carrying Declan and a rectangular gift.

"Come here," I pat the stool.

"I'm nervous." Aiden admits, getting on stage. He sits down on the stool and Declan holds up the present. Aiden takes it from him.

"Well go on!" I laugh, picking Declan up. Camilla and my Mom know what it is. They're recording.

Aiden rips off the paper, looking at me again before he removes the top.

On the top is a picture of Aiden and Declan from about six months ago. We took Declan to the park and Aiden was hugging him from behind and both of them were laughing.

Aiden picks up the picture and moves the tissue paper out of the way.

Underneath all of that is a manila folder. Aiden pulls it out, glancing at me again before he opens it.

I watch as he pulls back the flap and pulls out a piece of paper.

In black bold letters at the top, it clearly says certificate of adoption.

He starts crying, setting down the paper. His left hand covers his face and he uses his right to pull me and Declan against him in a hug. I start crying too, rubbing his back.

I already filled out all of the information for him. Declan's last name will be changed from Brown to Moran, and Aiden and I will both be equally legally responsible for him.

After a few moments, Aiden pulls away to kiss me.

"Say it Declan," I sniffle after Aiden pulls away.

"Will you Daddy?" Declan asks.

"Yes buddy. Of course." Aiden takes Declan from my arms and hugs him tight. "I love you."

"I love you!" Aiden giggles happily.

"Do you have a pen?" Aiden sniffles, looking at me.

I grab the folder and reach into the bottom, grabbing the pen I placed in there. I show him where to sign, and he shifts Declan in his arm and scrawls his signature on the line.

And then he's kissing me and kissing Declan's head. Because it's different now.

Before, he couldn't take him to the doctor without me there.

Before, he could only take him out of school if I told the school he was okay.

Now it's different. Now Declan is his, by law, and there's nothing anybody can say or do about it.