Chapter Ten

Aiden

I shut out bedroom door softly and walk into the living room.

"What did the doctor say?" My Mom asks right away.

"Everything is fine. She pushed herself too hard." I tell her. "The baby is fine, and so is Lex, she just needs some sleep."

"Does she need anything? Water? Food? Did she eat dinner? She needs to get nutrients for the baby." Mary says.

"She ate dinner, she already had water. She's alright, I promise she's alright." I run my fingers through my hair. "She just needs to slow down. She gets this...this plan in her head and she has to follow through with it, no matter what."

Matthew, Lex's Dad shakes his head.

"I just don't get it." He says.

"What?" Mary asks her husband.

"How she did all of this alone the first time. I just...I don't know. She's a strong girl. I'm so proud of her." He shakes his head.

"Well..." I shove my hands in my pockets. "She's been through a lot. I put her through a lot, and don't even get me started on Gavin. I'm just lucky she found it somewhere inside of her to forgive me."

Matthew looks at me.

"Don't feel guilty, Aiden. She forgave you. If she even knew you felt bad, she would be upset."

"I know," I say. "But I still feel bad. I feel horrible every day. I don't know. She's worth so much. Sometimes I think she deserves better than me."

"Dude." Danny shakes his head. "You're such an idiot."

I look at my brother in law.

"What?" I ask.

"I mean, she was sick, so you dropped everything and picked her up, took her to the doctor, fed her, and took her home. And I know you weren't in there for forty five minutes doing nothing. I know you were taking care of her. It's hard to find that these days. I've watched you two go through shit on both ends. I saw you without her. I saw her without you. The only solution to both of you guys being upset is each other. I don't believe in that soulmate crap, but you guys are like the only couple who's an exception to that. While I think it's nasty that you're having sex with my sister, you two are made for each other. In her mind, it doesn't get better than you, and I know you feel the same way."

"Danny's right." Ali says gently.

"And as her father, I can honestly tell you there isn't anybody else I would want my daughter to be with than you. You love her. I realized it first, by the way."

"He did." My Dad nods. "He pointed it out. When you guys were kids. I think you were like fourteen."

"I mean...the way you looked at her..." Mary shakes her head. "It's like she's the only person in the world that matters."

"I mean..." I trail off. "Yeah."

She is. Lexi really is. I would do anything for her.

I think about her in there, trying to sleep, not feeling good...

"I'm going to check on her."

I turn around and walk back to the bedroom, slipping in the room.

I walk over to our mattress, and she's lying on her side with the pillow over her head.

When I stop walking, she moves, peeking at me through the darkness.

"What's wrong?" she asks. I smile.