Chapter Seventeen

Annalise lies on my chest, sleeping peacefully. I rub my eyes, glancing at my wife, who looks just about as tired as I feel.

"I want to go home." Lex mumbles. "This bed is so uncomfortable. And I hate that the nurses come in every hour to check on us. How are we expected to sleep?"

"I know," I murmur, putting my hand on Annalise's back. "I'm exhausted."

Lex woke up yesterday afternoon, and the entire day was spent with doctors coming in an out to check on her, doctors coming in an out to run hearing tests and a ton of other tests on Annalise, which she passed.

The night was spent waking up with the baby every two hours, but waking up once an hour for the nurse to come in and check on Lex.

Now it's around nine in the morning, the baby is sleeping, and we're both exhausted.

I hear a knock at the hospital door.

"Good lord, can't we just be alone?!" Lex whispers.

The door opens, and instead of it being a nurse, it's Anthony, Emily, their daughter, and Declan.

"Mommy!" Declan exclaims.

Lex's whole face lights up.

"Hi buddy!"

Declan clambers up onto the hospital bed.

"Dec, be gentle with Mommy, okay?" I tell him.

"Okay." He smiles.

Lex pushes the button to sit her bed up and Declan climbs into her lap.

He burrows against her, and Lex wraps him in a hug.

"I missed you," she tells him.

"I missed you too." Declan smiles at her. "You have baby?"

"I did have the baby." Lex smiles tiredly, rubbing Declan's back.

I shift Annalise in my arms and stand up.

"Dec, this is your baby sister." I hold her down at his level.

He scoots closer to peek down at her, and then he giggles, putting his hand on his mouth.

"Her name is Annalise," Lex says softly, running her fingers through Declan's brown hair.

Declan looks hesitant, and then he gently reaches out and touches Anna's forehead.

"She's real." He states.

"Yes, she is real." Lex laughs, and the sound is like music to my ears.

"Do you want to hold her?" I ask Declan.

"Yeah!" he smiles.

I look at Lex. "How do you want to do this?" I ask.

She yawns, reaching out to take Annalise from my arms.

"Sit right here buddy. Cross your legs for me, okay?"

Declan nods, sitting in front of Lex with his legs crossed.

Lex carefully lies Annalise in Declan's lap, but she keeps her hands on her the whole time.

"Wow." Declan whispers. He leans down and hugs Anna gently, and then he kisses her forehead.

Lex is smiling and so am I.

"Do you love your little sister?" I ask him.

"Yeah." Declan smiles, putting his hand on Annalise's head.

"How are you feeling?" Emily asks Lex, frowning. "Anthony told me what happened."

Lex sighs softly.