Chapter Five

Later that night, Declan is sleeping in Aiden's old bedroom, Ali is in her old bedroom, and Camilla and Peter are sleeping in their room. Aiden and I sit in the bathroom on the floor, waiting for the test results.

"How much longer?" He asks me, his hands over his mouth.

I look down at my watch.

"One minute, eight seconds." I mumble, looking at him with wide eyes.

We got a triple check test, all three of them are different. One is digital, one is a plus or minus, and one is two lines or one.

"Okay, but if it's negative, we can't get too upset." He says. "We could just make a baby right now. You know, if you're not already." His eyes flick towards the counter. "How long now?"

"Fifty one seconds."

He runs his fingers through his hair.

"This is so hard. I want to look!" he laughs. I laugh too, leaning forward to kiss him.

He kisses me back, but I pull away after a few seconds, and we both look at the timer on my watch

"Forty two." I say.

He groans loudly.

"Shhhh!" I laugh, putting my hand on his mouth. He laughs too.

We sit there and stare at the timer.

My watch starts to beep, so I silence the alarm and we both scramble up to look at the results.

One of them has a plus sign, one of them has two very solid pink lines, and the other one says pregnant 3+

I put my hands over my mouth and look at Aiden.

"We're gonna have a baby." He says.

I start crying as he pulls me into a hug, and I can feel him laughing into my hair. He pulls away with tears in his eyes and kisses me.

"I can't believe it." He says. "Well we should postpone the move. We need to go to the doctor."

"We're not postponing, okay?" I kiss him again. "We already know I'm pregnant. Now we can wait to go to the doctor."

"Okay." He runs his fingers through my hair. "I-"

Somebody knocks on the bathroom door, causing both of us to stiffen.

I yank open a drawer and sweep all the tests in, and then I open the door.

Ali is standing on the other side of the door. I peek my head out.

"Yes?"

"I came down here to get water." She says. "I heard everything. You're pregnant?"

I look back at Aiden, who is still smiling.

"Yeah." I open the door. "Yeah, I am."

She opens the drawer I threw the tests into, pulling each of them out, and then she starts crying.

"Our kids are going to be the same age."

"Our kids?" Aiden repeats.

"Yeah." Ali sniffles. "I'm pregnant too."

"You're lying." He says.

"I'm not." She shakes her head. "Steve is moving in with me. In Michigan. We're having a baby."

Aiden looks surprised for a moment, and then he steps forward and hugs her.

"So both of you need to do nothing during the move. I don't want either one of you lifting anything."