Chapter 16 - Atonement

Your heads simultaneously spun to the table, where you had placed your phone. Staring a few seconds, you eventually freed your hand out of Jimin's loose grip and answered the call.

"Hello?" It was silent for a while until there was an answer from the other line.

"Y/N..." Your eyes shot up in disbelief and met the ones of Jimin, who still leaned above you. He was confused. He could hear the voice from the phone but didn't recognize it.

"Who is it?" He whispered. Your expression looked troubled, since you already knew who was speaking.

"Y/N?" The voice repeated your name, expecting an answer.

"Mom..."

Your body was stiff. When your mother called, she asked you to meet her because she wanted to explain herself. At first you weren't sure if you should go but she sounded strange... as if she had cried...? There was a moment when your brain said, you should refuse but regardless, your heart won. She was your mother and she deserved a chance. So now, you stood in front of your house and still didn't know if you were doing the right thing. Anyways, Jimin patted your shoulder reassuringly. Yup, he insisted to go with you and there was no way you could have rejected him. Right now, you really needed someone. You didn't want to be alone. Due to Jimin's soft touch you were able to take a step forward and you eventually approached the door. But there was still one question that you didn't get an answer for, no matter how much you thought about it.

Why her sudden change of mind?

You felt like there was a big red question mark floating above your head and you wondered if Jimin was able to see it. You glanced over your shoulder again to look at Jimin, before you finally rang the bell. The door opened and revealed Jungkook who looked at you warmly but there was also a glimmer of worry in his eyes. He passed you and went over to Jimin. Both of them only stood there and watched you walking inside.

"So, what's going on? Y/N said that your mother wanted to explain herself. Why so suddenly?" Jimin's voice reflected all the confusion he felt. He didn't understand why she suddenly wanted to meet up, after she struck your face and just left you. And since you told him why your mother acted this way he certainly didn't expect such a move of her. He more likely expected her to never talk to you ever again.

"I guess she'll apologize for her behavior. She seems to regret what she did to Y/N." Jungkook shrugged his shoulders. He also didn't know about the intentions of his mother. So he couldn't give a concrete answer. After 10 minutes Jimin felt uneasy. He started to fiddle with the hem of his shirt and to check if you finally get out. Another 5 minutes passed by and there was still no sign of you. The sun now reached its zenith but the cold air of autumn made the boys curl up into their warm coats.

"What's taking them so long?" Jimin pushed his hair back in frustration and right at the moment, the door creaked open. You stepped out, your head hanging low. The boys immediately hurried over to you. Trying to figure out what had happened, they started to ask you questions at the same time. The words that left their mouths became a mess of incomprehensible sentences and your head began to hurt because of that. How would you be able to answer, if they keep asking without any interruption?

"Yah, stop it! I'm fine, okay?" You burst out.

"But your statement doesn't suit your expression. You seem down." Jungkook looked at you concerned. Jimin agreed with Jungkook, but you shook your head negating.

"That's not it. I'm actually quite happy but still confused. Mom apologized to me and I definitely didn't expect that. Maybe I still need to process that."