Chapter Two

The rest of the day went by relatively fast, the day's events and the impending date serving as distractions. It was late into the next day when Tom had texted Isabella to let her know he'd be by about 7 pm to pick her up. It was just after 5:30 when she discovered that she hadn't even thought about what to wear.

"Lana! Help! What am I going to wear?" She yelled out across the apartment.

Lana came out of her room, looking at her watch.

"OK, we have just under two hours to make you look presentable. Come on, let's go raid your closet."

She helped Isabella up and sat her on the bed while she looked through her closet, shoving piece after piece aside. Finally, she settled on two dresses, pulling them out and holding them up for Isabella's approval. The first was a stunning cobalt blue, high waisted, v neck, half sleeve dress that was classy and flowed around the legs. The next one was in a similar shade of blue, but it was lacy and short with cap sleeves and a ballerina style skirt. It was modest but showed more skin.

"You know which one I'm going to tell you to pick, but I already know which one you are going to go with," Lana said, knowing her friend all too well.

"Yes. I'm going with the long-sleeved one. You know I'm self-conscious about my arms."

"And I keep telling you that there is nothing wrong with them! Be proud of the way you look. You are not the same person you were six months ago."

Lana came to sit next to her friend and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"It's not that simple. I don't feel that way. Not yet." Isabella sighed, not wanting to let her insecurities ruin what should be a fun evening. "Ok, help me get this dress on. What should I do with my hair?"

Lana stood and helped Isabella get her clothes off, trying not to disturb her foot before slipping the dress over her head. She pushed herself up off the bed and limped over to the mirror. Smoothing the fabric over her curves, she straightened out her hem, making sure everything looked ok.

"As for your hair," Lana said, going in the bathroom to get a brush and some makeup. "You should just brush it out and put a couple pins in it. You have gorgeous, thick hair. And there's not much you can do with the bangs besides sweeping them to the side. But a nice clip pulling some of it away from your face will do nicely."

Lana helped her to the bed and fixed up her hair before applying her makeup. She was a makeup artist and the only person Isabella trusted to help her with her face. Just a bit of eyeshadow, some lip gloss and mascara. Isabella was not one of those girls who lived for makeup. Just a little color on the face suited her.
Pulling back, Lana looked her over and nodded her head. "He's going to be speechless when he sees you!" Lana said, clasping her hands together.

As if on cue, the doorbell rang.

"Shit. He's here! Am I ready?" Isabella said, panic settling in fast. "I can't do this. Why am I doing this? This is your fault!"

Lana put her hands on Isabella's shoulders.

"Ok, calm down. Take a moment. I'll go get the door. Just take some deep breaths. Come out when you're ready."

Lana went to get the door while Isabella sat on the bed, breathing deeply and attempting to calm her pounding heart.
Opening the door, Lana was taken back by the sight of Tom. He was simply a gorgeous man. She whistled at him in appreciation and he laughed as he walked in. He was wearing a bright blue suit, crisp white dress shirt unbuttoned, and grey suede shoes. He was both casual and dressy. And lord were those pants tight.

"Good evening, Lana," Tom said with a polite nod.

"Evening, Sir Thomas," Lana said, tipping her head at him.