Chapter Nine

Once they were settled at home, Tom took the shopping list and made his way to the small grocery shop around the corner. Without having to help Isabella get around he was able to take long strides and get there faster. It did occur to him though that he instantly felt her loss as he walked down the street. He had so quickly adjusted to holding her close to him as he walked that it almost felt a little strange, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he didn't know what else to do with them.

Walking up and down the aisles, he looked back and forth between the shelves and the list. He mumbled to himself as he picked up items, focusing like a man on a mission. Once he had everything, he stopped at the wine aisle to pick up something especially nice before going to check out.

As he walked home, bags in hand, he felt a smile tug his lips upwards. He felt positively domestic picking up items for dinner, knowing that his lady and loyal pup were awaiting his return. It gave him an extra spring in his step and helped him get home that much faster.

"That was quick!" Isabella said from the couch as Bobby strolled up to him, tail wagging wildly at his master's return.

"Miss me?" He said, placing the bags down on the kitchen counter and striding over to her, kissing her on the top of the head.

"Since the moment you walked out the door," she said as she grabbed his shirt and pulled him back down for a short, but fierce kiss. He smiled against her lips before he pulled back, putting out his hands to help her up.

"I hope I got everything you needed. I had to make some brand substitutions."

Looking through the bags, she looked at each item, checking them off in her head.

"Yes, this is perfect. Thank you, Thomas. I'll get started on this, shouldn't take long. How about you find something for us to listen to?"

"Of course."

Tom walked over to a large built-in bookshelf that was filled with books, along with a small music player. He went to Spotify and flipped through stations until settling on 80's and 90's love ballads. The beginning bars of "I'll Stand By You" by the Pretenders began, the soft music drifting into the kitchen of the open floor plan. He walked back into the kitchen to pour them both some wine before sitting down at a barstool along the enormous island that Isabella was using to prepare dinner.

He didn't interrupt her with conversation - instead choosing to watch her work. She looked hyper-focused on what she was doing, making sure every detail was executed to perfection. She rolled the sleeves of her dress up to make sure she didn't get any sauce or cheese on them as she walked back and forth between the island and the stovetop, can of purée in hand. She very carefully cut up little pieces of garlic and placed them at the bottom of the pot with some oil to sauté before pouring the purée on top. A little cheese and garlic salt were added before she put the lid on for it to boil.

As she exhaled a breath, he could almost see the wheels turning in her head as she thought about what to do next. She unwrapped the mozzarella, cutting it up into little squares and plopped it in a bowl with the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, and an egg. It seemed to Tom that she was a minimalist when it came to ingredients, but he liked that about her. She didn't need to overcrowd her palate with too many flavors. She kept it simple and that seemed to be very true of her as well.
After a few more spins, she happened to look up and see Tom's very blue eyes staring at her, head resting on his fist, sipping on his wine. A nervous laugh came out as she smiled at him, feeling silly at how unaware she was of his gaze.

"Can I help you, sir?"

"Nope. I'm enjoying myself quite nicely," he said, continuing to watch her, a warm smile on his face.