Chapter Six

They made it back to the house in decent time despite the rain that still poured outside. Walking inside of the air-conditioned house, Isabella ran her hands up and down her arms, rubbing at the goosebumps that covered her flesh. She shivered and Tom noticed, ushering her into his bedroom to give her the shirt she had been wearing last night.

"Here, go change. Leave your clothes on the hamper and I'll dry them for you."

Once he left her alone to change, she went into the bathroom and closed the door. Stripping off her wet clothes and placing them on top of the hamper, she pulled on the familiar T-shirt, grateful for a clean, dry shirt. Her bra had managed to get soaked thanks to being carried on Tom's back, so she had no choice but to remove it. Thankfully her underwear wasn't so bad. Walking out of the bathroom, she crossed her arms against her chest, attempting to cover up her breasts as they hung free from their enclosure. Tom chose that moment to walk back in, having changed himself into a pair of grey sweatpants and a black band tee and walked past her to grab her clothes. Walking past her again, he stopped short when he noticed the odd way she was standing. Her shoulders were slouched forward, arms folded as if she was trying to hide something.

"Darling, is everything alright? Are you in pain?" he said, grasping her elbow.

She attempted to smile through her awkwardness. "Oh, yes, I'm fine."

That one perfect eyebrow of his arched in its perfect way as he looked at her in disbelief.

"Ok, so I'm not alright. I'm just a little uncomfortable. I had to take off my bra and I don't like how they look "free" is all. It's a woman thing," she said exasperated.

He gave her a sympathetic smile. "Is that all?"

"Yes," she muttered, looking down at her feet.

Stepping over to her, he placed a finger under her chin, tipping her face up to meet his.

His eyes searched hers, looking for a way in. "Hey, you don't have to feel that way. Not around me. Let me be your safe space."

She couldn't use her voice, fearing it would crack from the fresh tears that were welling in her eyes. All she could do was nod and hope that he understood what it meant.

Grinning like mad, he gestured towards the door.

"Come on then, I've set everything up in the living room. I'll just put these in the dryer and meet you out there."

Walking out into the living room, she couldn't contain the gasp that escaped her mouth. He had set up their picnic on the floor of the living room, in front of the fireplace. The couch had been pushed back to give them extra room, with the blanket placed on the ground. Stepping towards it, she relished in the warmth of the small fire he had started. With as much grace as she could muster, she lowered herself down, tugging on the t-shirt to extend it over her legs as much as it would go. She placed her feet out in front of her, crossing her bad leg over the good one. The dim light from the fireplace illuminated the room just enough to see the delicious plate of cheese and prosciutto he put out, in addition to fruit and some crusty bread. A bottle of wine and two glasses sat to the side. This was even more romantic than a picnic in the park. The sound of the rain pelting the house was rhythmic and soothing. She stared at the flames, getting lost in their frenzied dance.

Tom walked back over to the living room, standing behind Isabella, watching the way she sat and looked at the fire. He wondered what she was thinking in that moment. Was she still feeling self-conscious? Had her thoughts drifted to more happy things or had they slipped into darker moments? He had to marvel at the way the light of the fire reflected off her face, creating a glow that seemed to highlight her features. She was even more beautiful at this moment than any other because she had no idea anyone was watching her, allowing her to be herself with no reservations.