Chapter Eighteen

It went on like this for days, him being both kind and cruel, forcing her to do things that would humiliate her as her punishment. In the back of her mind, she tried to remember why she was doing this. She cried a little less each day as she forced herself to become detached and numb to it. She knew that this was to be her life so she chose to obey him, no matter how shameful it felt because if she didn't he would take his punishment a step further. In the back of her mind, she thought about giving her body to him willingly as he said she would so that perhaps the punishments would stop. The very idea caused her to feel intense guilt, making her hold out longer. She only hoped that Tom was okay and that he would not try to find her.

Tom had decided after a week to get out for some fresh air. He had tried for days to call Isabella to no avail. The days seemed to blur as he sat in his home, questioning how any of this could have happened. He tried to remember every conversation they had, especially after they came back from the funeral that could've triggered this whole breakup. They were happy. Or so he thought. She had never let on that she was anything but. She had even said so many times. It was all so strange. He was rounding the corner on the way back to his place when he saw her. It had only been a week, but she looked different somehow. She seemed paler, that rosy glow she had about her was gone. Her face was emotionless. He couldn't tell if she was alone, so he decided to just trail behind her, thinking about if he should say something to her. The whole time he followed, he worried about her. She was not the same person as she was a week before. She looked controlled. He lost his nerve, but continued to follow her, all the way up to an old apartment building that looked almost abandoned. He stayed at the end of the hallway as she went inside and locked the door. Thoughts rushed through his mind. What was she doing here? Was she alone? Why here? What had happened to her that made her look so defeated? He decided he needed answers. Summoning the strength, he walked over to the door and pounded on it.

"Isabella! I know you're in there! I just want to talk!" He said through the heavy door.

On the other side, she trembled with fear as she looked to Jackson and then back to the door. She had no idea that Tom had followed her. She was lucky enough to have gained enough favor to be able to walk out by herself for the first time in a week and perhaps she unknowingly had strayed too close to Tom's place. She just wanted something to feel familiar. It might end up being her undoing.

Jackson grabbed her by the throat and whispered into her ear.

"Get rid of him, now," he snarled.

Once he released her, she walked shakily over to the door and attempted to get her wits about her before responding.

"Go away, Thomas," she said through the door, trying fervently to keep the trembling out of her voice.

"Please, just let me in so we can talk. Help me understand. You can't expect me to just walk away and you can't expect me to believe that you would either."

Unbeknownst to either of them, they had both placed a flattened palm against the door, as if they knew the others was there. Isabella laid her head against the door, summoning the strength she had left within her broken soul to send him away for good, even though it was the last thing she ever wanted to do.

"Please don't make me say it again. I don't love you. I never have. I used you. It was fun, but I'm bored now. Go find yourself some new young thing to fuck and get out of my life."

She bit her lip hard, trying in vain to control her emotions as they attempted to force themselves out. Her heart felt like it was desiccating in her chest as she tried to make him leave.

He banged on the door again with more force. "No, I don't believe you! Open the door!"

"If you don't leave, I will call the cops! I can't stand being around you for one more minute!" She spat and it left such a vile taste in her mouth.