Chapter Twelve

The dinging of the seatbelt sign and the sound of the pilot announcing their final descent woke everyone from a sound sleep. Sitting up and stretching, Tom looked out the window of the plane and saw it was dark now as it was getting late upon their arrival in Orlando. Isabella took out her cell phone and sent her mother a text to let her know they had landed and should expect them soon. It would be an extra half-hour drive from the airport to their neighborhood.

They were the first ones to get off the plane and a set of security guards met them at the gate to escort them to a VIP area where they waited while their bags were brought to them. It was late so the terminal wasn't very busy, but Tom didn't want to leave anything to chance. The car was brought around and they all climbed in. Isabella gave him directions and they were on their way.

"Whoa! What a blast from the past!" Lana said, wide-eyed as she stuck her head out of the backseat window. "I forgot how hot and humid it gets here!"

She quickly rolled up her window and requested the air conditioning. Isabella smiled, looking out the window of the car. It hadn't been all that long for her as she had just moved to London the month before, but it certainly felt nice being around familiar settings and smells. It was comforting. As annoying as her family was, she really needed them right now. Tom reached over and took her hand, holding it between the console. She loved that he always seemed to know exactly when she needed his touch. She glanced over at him as he focused on the road, admiring him in silence.

When they pulled up to the house at close to midnight, the street was quiet and dark. They all walked up to the front door and Tom could tell that Isabella was dragging her feet.

He turned to look at her. "Darling, I know you're tired, but we're almost there. Or is it something else?"

"I don't know," she said, avoiding his gaze and twitching nervously in place. "This is just a big moment, I guess. You meeting my family, here for my grandma's funeral. I just didn't picture it happening like this is all," she reasoned, struggling to find the right words as she wrung her hands.
He nodded his head in understanding.

"I see. I know this isn't the best of circumstances to meet the family and I'm sure you weren't expecting it to be so soon, but everything happens for a reason, right? I'm sure they'll love me. I'm a likable person, aren't I?" He said, flashing her a toothy grin that made her smile instantly. She nodded in agreement and they continued on to the front door.

Tom rang the bell and they waited only a moment before the door opened. Isabella's little brother Joe opened the door, took one look at Tom, his eyes widening in shock, and promptly slammed the door in their faces. Tom and Isabella shared a look as she shrugged at him. The door opened once again, this time by a short woman with short, black hair and tan skin. She wore an apologetic grin.

"Hello there. I am so sorry for my son. He is a bit of an idiot sometimes," she said, saying the word "idiot" loud enough for him to hear in the background.

She opened the door wide to allow them in.

"My name is Rosemarie," she said as she reached for Tom to give him a hug. He responded in kind by stooping down to return it.

"It is lovely to meet you, ma'am. I'm Tom. Isabella has told me so much about all of you," he said, motioning towards Isabella.

"Nothing good, I'm sure," she said to her daughter, giving her a side-eye and a smile. "And call me, Rosemarie. Come here, bambina."

Isabella walked over to her mother and embraced her, tears beginning to fall freely out of nowhere.

"I'm so sorry, mama," she whispered in between her cries.