Chapter Twenty

When Isabella woke the next morning, she felt sore and achy, but she didn't mind it. The pains weren't from being tortured by that monster Jackson and Tom had taken every precaution to make sure he was as gentle with her as he could be. She had made love for the first time in a week with the man of her dreams and the soreness was welcomed because it meant she was back where she belonged.

Stretching out, she let out a yawn as she sat up and looked over at the sleeping form lying next to her. She almost couldn't believe that she had resigned herself to never waking up next to him again. The idea made her momentarily nauseous. Getting up and grabbing her nightgown from the living room, she got dressed, putting on her cozy pink robe. She missed her creature comforts, having only grabbed what little she could find in a dash. She walked into the kitchen and started a big pot of coffee, expecting their guests to just show up at any moment because neither one of them paid attention to the time or the fact that some people might be sleeping still. Just as expected, the doorbell rang and she smiled to herself, knowing exactly the way her best friends mind worked.

Opening the door, she barely got a 'Good morning' out before she was rushed by Lana's open arms. Her friend squeezed her tight and try as she might, she couldn't help the little yelp that escaped her lips. Pulling back, Lana's great big smile turned immediately into a frown. John stepped up beside her, noticing the way she winced.

"Isabella? What's the matter? John, take a look at her right now!" She said with alarm.

"Hold on," Isabella said, holding up a hand. "First off, good morning. Secondly, please come in. Can I at least close the door before you start the probing, please?"

Lana rolled her eyes and let out a huff as she stalked over to the couch, John in tow. Tom chose that moment to come out of the room, eyes barely open, pulling on a shirt with a yawn.

"Morning," he mumbled, walking over and kissing Isabella atop her head as he waved to the early morning intruders.

"The coffee should be done, sweetheart," Isabella said to Tom as he nodded and walked into the kitchen.

Isabella and Lana stared at one another, daring the other to say something first. John looked between them and saw that Isabella looked a bit nervous, maybe to reveal whatever it was that was hurting her.

"Perhaps we should take the examination into a private room if that would make you more comfortable?" John suggested.

Lana crossed her arms against her chest, standing firm. "No way, I need to be there."

"Lana... I don't think..." Isabella started, but then trailed off, knowing there was no use in trying to persuade her otherwise. She was like her sister and she would see the bruises one way or another.

Sighing aloud, Isabella decided the living room was just as good a place as any so she took off her robe. Lana gasped audibly, covering her gaping mouth with her hand.
Tears welled in her eyes, threatening to fall, but Lana held back. John didn't react, he just went into doctor mode and walked over, carefully lifting her arms and inspecting each bruise.

"Are they... all over?" John asked and Isabella bowed her head.

"Yes," Tom said as he walked back into the room with a cup of coffee in hand. "You don't need to see those, I can tell you what I saw," Tom said with finality and John just nodded, thinking now was not the time to tease him for his possessiveness.

Lana stood, looking at her friend speechless. Isabella grabbed her robe and put it back on, feeling less self-conscious covered up. She walked into her friends waiting arms and they hugged, gentler this time, and cried together.