23 - Handhold

Daisy and Carla had gone out as a couple several times already now. Their public affection, however, was practically nonexistent. Daisy hoped to change that today. As they walked through the busy streets, she suddenly felt like all eyes were on them. Even though everyone was hurrying past, not sparing a second glance for the girls, she couldn't help but fear that they were attracting unwanted gazes. Carla was peacefully unaware. She smiled at Daisy when she noticed her in her peripheral vision.

I have to do it now.

Keeping in step with her girlfriend, Daisy reached out her hand. Carla shyly and awkwardly moved her own hand away when she felt their fingers connect. Daisy didn't give up. She leaned closer, her fingertips chasing Carla's, until she managed to caress her hand once more. Carla's face flushed.

"What are you doing?" she whispered.

"Trying to hold your hand. I thought that would be obvious," Daisy replied, quietly.

"I...I don't think I'm ready to act like a couple yet."

"It's not the biggest giveaway. Many girls who are just friends hold hands too."

"Well I don't hold hands with any of my girl friends. Or anyone at all." She tried to calm her red cheeks by discreetly fanning her face.

"Ooh then I'll definitely feel special." Daisy playfully poked at Carla's hand again with a pleading expression on her face. She partially gave in, with a reluctant sigh, and linked her pinky around Daisy's. Daisy giggled as they strolled along, little fingers entwined. "I think we can do a bit better than this."

"This is just fine," Carla muttered. She took out her phone with her free hand and pretended to text to avoid the situation. Daisy found her stubbornness cute but decided to kiss her cheek to get her attention. Carla almost dropped her phone.

"Why did you-"

"Hold hands with me properly," Daisy whined and tugged on her pinky. Carla stiffened but slowly unfurled the rest of her fingers and they crept closer to Daisy's. She tensed briefly before lacing their fingers together so they were properly linked. Daisy grinned as they continued their journey, hands locked together with love.