24 - Letters

After the bell for class rang, Jodie lingered near the lockers. Not too close but near enough that she could spot the culprit, she hoped. Ever since she came out as a lesbian, some girl had been slipping anonymous love letters into her locker and she was desperate to find out who. Today, she decided to finally skip class to catch them. It would definitely be worth it.

A couple of minutes passed before someone finally appeared. Kyra. A shy but sweet girl who Jodie had known for a few years now but had never really spoken to. She was often overlooked and Jodie hadn't suspected that it would be her at all. Kyra looked around awkwardly to check the coast was clear and Jodie moved a little further out of sight. Seeing no one, Kyra entered Jodie's combination.

So she's memorised it then.

She opened it and was placing an envelope inside when Jodie decided to reveal herself. "Kyra? What are you doing?" Kyra jumped and shot Jodie a startled look. She walked over and stared at the letter in her hand. "Have you been leaving those for me?"

"N-No!" Kyra felt sick and anxious. "No," she repeated, attempting to sound a little calmer. "I'm just a...messenger I guess. I'm leaving them on behalf of someone else."

"Oh really?" Jodie raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

"I can't tell you that..."

"You really shouldn't be going in other people's lockers. I could have had private things in there. Or someone else could have seen you and thought you were stealing something. That would have gotten you in serious trouble." Jodie kept looking her right in the eye, although Kyra wasn't meeting her gaze at all. "So who asked you to do this for them?" Kyra racked her brains.

"Um...Sam. You're in her English class."

"You're right. So it definitely can't be her," Jodie figured. "I've heard her stories. Neither of us are talented writers but the person who writes me these letters is a wonderful one. She has a real gift for putting words together."

"I...she..." Kyra certainly couldn't string a sentence together right now.

"But aren't you in the top set for English?" Kyra nodded slowly and looked down at her feet. "Kyra I'm not mad at you. I just want you to be honest with me," Jodie said, her tone a lot softer now.

"It was....stupid really." Kyra fidgeted with her hands as she regretted all of this. "I know you'd never like me back and I'm sorry. You act confident but you also have low self esteem. I just wanted to let you know that you're loved." Jodie was surprised by how well Kyra seemed to know her and she was even gentler when she spoke.

"Well maybe it's your turn to have some courage now." Kyra knew she was right and hoped she wouldn't lead her on like this if she wasn't seriously considering getting to know her better.

"O-Ok." Her stomach was churning, even though she wasn't actually asking to date her yet. "Will you go out with me after school? Maybe we could grab coffee or something..." Jodie smiled.

"Of course. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?" She gave Kyra a quick kiss on the cheek and took the letter from her, running her finger over it. "And I look forward to reading this."