The Whoodeehoo

Fabian Prewett was leaning against the stone wall on the Embankment, overlooking the foggy Thames. Behind him, Ben's clocktower glowed through the thick cloud cover, showing it a bit before 9:00. A boat chugged its way by, churning water in its wake. Fabian sipped a mug of tea that he had made with a flick of his wand, and waited.

"There you are," he said, seeing his brother, Gideon, approaching through the fog. "Bleedin' kept me waiting an hour! Was about to forget about you and go on without, you git." He paused, watching Gideon's stride. He put down the teacup as Gideon drew his wand. "Ey? Gid? What're you —"

"AVADA —"

"STUPEFY!"

Fabian only just managed at ducking the jet of green, rolling on the stone ground and shooting his stunner over his shoulder at the form of his brother. Gideon dodged it, and Fabian could see the vacant look in his brother's eyes, and it made his stomach double over itself in a knot. "Bloody hell, Gid! Fight it off, man, like ol' Moody taught us to!"

Gideon Prewett's wand slashed, sparks flying at Fabian, glowing red in the fog around them, crackling against the cold January air. Fabian's scarf had fallen off, and lay on the ground as he ducked behind a large war memorial, throwing himself in the relief beside a dimensional iron aeroplane. He pressed his back to the list of war heroes names, gasping for breath from his mad dash. He could hear Gideon's footsteps, and muggle cars zipped past them in the street, the muggles not even paying mind to what was going on along the side of the road. Fabian launched himself down the walkway, heading toward the stairs that would bring him out to the docks where the entrance to the auror training center lay hidden. He didn't want to fight his brother, but he might just have to...

Gideon exploded a bench as he chased after Fabian, their boots sloshing loudly through puddles, rain spattering their grey auror uniforms. Fabian leaped the steps, turned back, and raised his wand - ready when Gideon came about the corner, and with a flick his brother's arms were bound, sending Gideon to the pavement roughly, blood popping from his chin as the concrete scraped it. Fabian stood over him, staring down, wand drawn. He relieved Gideon of his wand with a flick, catching it and looking it over carefully to be sure it was his brother's. He shook his head as Gideon fought against the ropes that held him.

"Eximo," Fabian said, and Gideon went momentarily limp, laying on the sidewalk like a murdered fish. Fabian waited, looking around, watching for shadows and movement in the fog.

"Wh-what's happened? Fab?"

"Gid?"

"Oi what's —"

"You were imperiused..." Fabian said, "And you had a go at trying to kill me, ya lunk."

Gideon looked sick and he shook as Fabian pulled him up from the sidewalk. "Hell," he murmured.

Fabian nodded, eyes still keenly casting about. "You remember who you might've had a run in with?"

Gideon shook his head, "Was coming here to meet you, wasn't I? Just over by St. James, coming from seeing the Minister to Buckingham... Next thing's next, I'm laying here with your ugly mug looking down at me." Gideon's brow darkened, "Let's go and find him, Fab, if somebody's trying at controlling me and nearly had me at doing you in - I'm bloody going to string him up, whoever he is!" And he started to rush forward.

Fabian caught his brother as he nearly tipped over. "Easy there, Gid, you've only just come out of it. "Let's get you inside here at the training center and we'll rest you up, whoever's imperio'd you likely disapparated anyway. And we've got to get in contact with Bil and Chrissy anyway so they know we aren't comin'... C'mon." Fabian dragged Gideon off to the auror training center.