The Manila Envelope

James's eyes were slightly red and bleary the next morning when he dropped onto the bench at breakfast. Lily looked up from the book she was reading, crunching up her nose as she sniffed at him for a moment. "James Charlus Potter," she started, but was promptly interrupted.

"Talk to Sirius, it's all his fault," James mumbled. He reached for some bacon and started piling it onto his plate with one hand as the other hand waved his wand to fill his mug with some hot black coffee.

Lily put her book down on the table and looked 'round for Sirius, finally spotting him, supporting a knackered looking Remus Lupin as they walked to Gryffindor table. She fixed him with the evil eye, following the boys' progress 'round the table 'til they'd reached the bench opposite her and James and taken their seats. She raised an eyebrow as Sirius met her gaze.

"Morning, Lillith Eugenie," Sirius said, grinning stupidly.

Lily pointed at Remus, "Him, too?"

Remus murmured something that sounded like too loud and put his head on Sirius's shoulder.

Sirius shrugged, his pride evident on his face, "What can I say? I have a very powerful corrupting force."

Lily shook her head. "James smells like a bleedin' Christmas tree, you can't honestly expect that nobody will figure out what you lot were up to."

Sirius looked about the table, then back to Lily. "So what if they do? What're they going to do? Expel us?"

"They very well could," she replied, then looked at James, "Tsk, tsk. And you, a prefect."

"Yes, James, you a prefect!" Sirius snickered, "Sounds like this might affect your rounds later, 'ey?"

Lily glared at Sirius.

James had a mouthful of bacon and couldn't answer.

Peter came in then, scrambling, having been running later than the others for having been the only one that actually slept the night before, while the others just waited until they'd gotten the munchies and set off for breakfast. He threw himself into his space on the bench, grabbing at food quickly, afraid it might disappear before he'd gotten what he wanted from the serving platters.

"Peter," Lily said, and when he looked up, she said, "Well at least you didn't corrupt sweet little Peter too."

Peter looked confused a moment, then he said, "Beg your pardon?"

"Wormy fell asleep long before we started puffing the magic dragon," Sirius answered. He inspected Peter's plate, "Though it looks like you might have some contact high munchies by the height of your plate..."

Peter looked down at the plate, then back up at Sirius, "Huh???" he asked, even more confused.

"Oh stop teasing him," Lily scolded. She looked back to Peter, "Ignore him, he's being an idiot. Eat your breakfast."

Peter did not have to be told twice.

It was at that moment that the great shutter windows high overhead opened and the owl post flew into the room, sweeping over the students heads with their packages and envelopes. Mrs. Potter had sent Sirius and James each a lumpy package filled with sweets and a card saying she loved them. Remus got a copy of the Daily Prophet. And then a tawny owl, with big round eyes, landed before James, carrying a large manila envelope.

Lily looked over curiously at the owl and the envelope - addressed to James Potter, Gryffindor Table, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Half distracted talking to Sirius still, James reached over and untied it from the impatient looking bird's ankle, grabbed a bit of bacon from his plate, and handed it to the owl, who chomped the bacon, shrieked, then flew off and back out the window.