Part 9: Since When

This idea about the monument was inspired by the 8th episode of 'Extraordinary Attorney Woo'. I saw the series this summer and had this thought from then. This story's case is pretty different from the episode of the show, but the tree and the natural monument thing are the same.

-=-

 It was the next morning of staying there for one last night that I and Siyeon were standing in Mr Park's office room. He was continuously tapping her foot on the wooden ground as he bobbed his head, his black slick hair falling on his forehead. "I see you somehow got the invitation and fooled my companion Yeosang, but that is not going to be easy with me, Miss Kim." He said finally, looking up from his messy working table and catching my gaze. His face fell softly, almost unnoticeably, bet he was waiting to find my troubled face. Though I stood there with strength. Siyeon was standing far behind me, observing the scene carefully.

"What fooling are you talking about, sir, I assure you we are here for the real deal!"

The man shook his head from left to right, his single hair lock brushing on his furrowed brows. He urged the sigh to come out of his lips "A monument? This- this tree??"

"This is not just a random tree, sir. It has become relevant to the social group of the village as a part of their remembrance of historic times and cultural heritage due to its artistic and historical importance. You... you cannot just ignore it like that! This will save not only the village but this town, too."

"How so?"

I breathed out and fluttered my eyes close, trying to calm my nerves. I felt a gentle touch on the small of her back and I opened my eyes to see Siyeon now standing closer to me, to give me strength.

"It's the only village on this side of the country that has all: mountains, rivers, fields and cherry trees. And not only this, but the main town is also receiving harvest from it. The amount that is produced on our farm fields and the amount that the cities all around it are buying, now imagine what would happen if all that stopped."

The man fell quiet.

"Just visit the village, we will show you."

It looked like he was thinking about it, but he still not looked entirely confident. "Do you think I have time for that?"

My teeth sank into my lower lip as I felt a tip of blood's taste on my tongue. I walked closer to his desk, leaning on it with both my arms "I will give compensation if we lose your time for nothing."

I don't know if it was Siyeon or the man in front of me, but I definitely heard a sound of a quiet gasp.

Well, probably Siyeon.

I smiled as I already noticed the tint of agreement in Mr Park's eyes.

Of course money would be the thing that would make him certain about it. He pursed his lips, a hand fleeing to his neck as he breathed out a sigh. "I will visit tomorrow evening, and I hope you will keep your promise, Miss Kim."

I gave out a somewhat proud grin. "Oh, and I hope you'll see my point, Mr Park."

Yoohyeon closed the diary, dust flying out from the rusty papers and making her sneeze. She stretched her muscles, freeing her body from the warm covers. Siyeon was probably waiting for her downstairs already, so Yoohyeon hurried to make her bed and get clothed before closing the door behind and walking down the stairs, skipping some of them in spite to say good morning quicker to Siyeon.