Chapter 5: Seeing the Light

'In bold and italics means that the speaker is speaking in thought'

'In bold, italics and underline means that someone other than the speaker is speaking in thought'

Reader's P.O.V

"This is strange" I said as I looked at Solomon who was busy playing with the manticores. Something was terribly wrong here, and I was going to get to the bottom of this. Why were all these beasts acting like us, with their civilization as if they are somehow in the same position as we are, and that they every right to behave like us, it was disgusting, the species that always sought to eat us many years ago are acting as if they deserve the right to be living here peacefully, acting as if they didn't remember what they hand done to us in the past. I clenched my staff with an iron grip, glaring at all the manticores with hate.

"Well, see this place is so organized...Everything is so tidy...it seems just like..a-a human city" I said as I continued to look around the manticore's village, then to Solomon who had the biggest smile on his face as he talked to the. 'Does he really enjoy their company that much? Why' I questioned to myself, as I couldn't understand why this impure boy had held such respect and admiration for these unworthy creature who had no remorse or sympathy for eating our kind all those years ago. "There are shops with tables and families...Ah see! they're saying hello to each other!!...This is just really strange" I finished as I turned to Ugo with a bewildered face.

"How is it strange?" Ugo questioned as if I shouldn't think anything about this whole situation, as if it was me who was the strange one here.

"Because...they are other species right!?, they are uncivilized and hateful beings that ate humans in the past..." I argued feeling the disgust towards those beasts flare within my heart. I just couldn't accept the fact that these people would actually want to be kind towards these species., we had to suffer so much in the past, so it's only fair that they should suffer as well, and what better way that to turn them into mindless drones and have them eat their own kind. It was only fair...right? "Up until yesterday, they were nothing but stupid beasts with white eyes that drooled all over the place." I finished remembering yesterday's events of how that darned monster almost had me meet my end.

"That's only because of your magic, right?" Ugo said without any remorse with an apathetic look on his face. It was as if something had struck inside of me, and I stood there frozen, with a bewildered expression on my face.

"..." I stood there shocked as it dawned upon me what Ugo said. I didn't want to believe that what he said was true, but I couldn't help but think he was somehow right, I just didn't want to accept the truth.

"Ah...sorry" he apologized, realizing what he just had affected me greatly. "Now that we can cut off the effects of that magic, I can only see a race with quite a good intellect. I don't know how they were in the past, but...right now they aren't trying to eat us up, after they also understood that we are an equal species to which mutual understanding is possible." he finished looking at the manticores, and admiring their race as they seemed to be part of us, like we were one and the same with each other. I couldn't stand it, this impure fool was talking non-sense. They are evil thy, they are the worst kind of species to ever live, they are below us, they don't deserve to live!

"T-That's not true, I-I only did what was right, I helped humanity to win against those creatures. I-I s-saved more lives by having those creatures eat their own kind to help us to see another day. I only did what the church told me to do! They would never lie to us...right!...They would never betray us right!?" I shouted as I tried to find consolation in his words, to prove that I had done nothing wrong, but I couldn't even find the slightest hint of sympathy in his tone, and I fell to my knees as I looked at the ground lifelessly, with a shocked look on my face. I'm not in the wring here, I've done my very best since they day I entered the church. The elders always praised me, and said I was the best, so why at this moment was I faltering and feeling that everything I had done amount to nothing. What was my purpose in life?