Virgil

TRIGGER WARNINGS FOR ABUSE AND DEATH
Virgil was at home reading when he saw light blue writing appear on his skin with a tingle. He gasped and saw the simple Hi! with a little blue heart next to it, and it also had a soft caring tingle sensation with it. As a 6 year old he watched in fascination and horror as more writing appeared on the back of his hand.
Greetings! It was in a bold red color with a strong, bold sensation.
Salutations appeared next in normal black ink with a sharp sensation to it
Virgil ran downstairs from his room to his mother.
"Mommy I have writing that appeared on my skin without writing it!" The 6 year old yelled when he ran to her while she was working in the kitchen.
Virgil's mother had an grave face while she looked to her son's outstretched hand.
You see, Jane's(who is Virgil's mother) soulmate died before they met, she held lots of pain and married a man who's soulmate had also passed before meeting.
That is signified by a black line on the inside of the wrist. Losing a soulmate is like losing a part of yourself.
When looking and seeing her son's wrist with apparently 3 soulmates, she was upset. Jane and Vincent(Virgil's father) both hated talking about soulmates because of their pasts. Vincent  started to drink and became abusive towards Jane and sometimes Virgil, if Jane was at work. It wasn't pretty.
Well, Jane knew she had to tell Virgil, so with a deep breath she spoke, "It's just your soulmate and apparently you have 3." Jane tried to make it sound like she was happy for Virgil, she truly tried, but of course it was hard. She felt that all to familiar pang in her chest. She then told the small boy about soulmates. A part of Jane wanted him to never write to his soulmates, also fearing her husband. She told Virgil to hide his soulmates from his father.
However Virgil's father did find out. When Virgil's father found out, he was not happy. The drunk got more violent and would hurt the 6 year old and the mother till they were both black and blue. It got to the point that Jane would spend all of her time at work leaving the poor defenseless boy home alone with the abusive father. Virgil never wrote back to his soulmates, because Vincent would punish him if he did so. Virgil learned to ignore the writing because that was better then the pain with dealing with his father. His father also would beat him more if he caught the boy looking even a little at the writing that adorned him.
When his classmates found out he had more then 1 soulmate they didn't take it kindly. Calling him names like freak, loser, weirdo, etc. The poor boy never getting a break. Virgil didn't even know how they found out. Soon the boy was bullied at home and school.
Virgil started to wear long sleeves and pants.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TIME SKIP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Virgil turned 8 his parents both died. His father took the beating to far and then killed himself from the guilt. Virgil during the fight was locked in a closet backed up into a corner fearing for his life.
Then a whole new life started for the traumatized boy, starting with the foster homes. It included the moving of foster homes and that abuse. Sometimes they were ok, but for the main part it seemed like Virgil was always stuck with the abusive ones. They would starve him, beat him, lock him in cupboards, etc. Some just straight up ignored him, only using him for the money. Virgil would move schools and always become a target for bullying. He never did get a break.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TIME SKIP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Virgil turned 18, he had the cash he saved up from the many jobs he did, and moved to a cheap apartment close to the college he would attend. He didn't care that it was an apartment that was falling apart. He was just glad to be free of all the pain and misery he felt. He had his few clothing, his cheap phone and it's charger, a mattress with old sheets on the floor, and a table that was unstable. He knew he had to find another job and with college on top of that it wouldn't be easy, but he felt ready(not really, just really terrified).
When attempting to fall asleep the day before college started(and failing miserably) Virgil hopes that maybe, just maybe, his life would turn around.