Chapter 15

Haley's POV

"Haley?" Jace questions me as all the guys follow him into the living room where I'm sitting.

"Ye..." I start to answer, but I am cut off by Dylan.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Dylan ask, "So should we call you Haley or Kadance?"

"Well... I guess it would be nice to go by my real name again." I hesitantly say. Now knowing what name to call me all the guys seem a little more at ease.

Once again Jace starts to speak. "Kadance?"

"Yes?"

Jace looks extremely nervous but continues to speak. "I have to go out of town to watch Brandon's gym for a few weeks. After speaking to Blayne we both agree that you should live here with him and the guys."

"We have a spare room, and it's a lot nicer than that motel." Blayne quickly says before I can respond to Jace.

I'm starting to get aggravated. This was why I didn't want to tell them. They don't need to protect me. "It's not your job to protect me. I will be fine." I hiss at them. Don't they realize that protecting me will put them in danger

"Damn it Kadance!" Jace yells. "You are not fine. You have a psycho ex out there trying to find you."

"This is why I didn't want to tell anyone. If he finds me with y'all he will kill all of you."

"And how do you know he won't kill you?" Blayne turns and ask me while combing his hand through his hair.

"I-I can't... I just know he won't. He may beat me, but he wouldn't kill me."

"But how do you know?" Blayne screams this time.

"I just know. Ryan loves me in his own sick, twisted way and he wouldn't kill me" I say frustrated with conversation. Of course, Ryan won't kill me. At least I hope he wouldn't kill me. He wouldn't do that to Mason. Would he?

Everyone is now fuming with anger at me. I just want to find a hole and hide in it. Blayne and Jace both look like they're going to explode any moment. Kyle is literally banging his head on the wall. Dylan has punched a hole through the wall while, Alex is sitting in the corner cursing. Everyone is upset, but then there's Jared. He doesn't seem mad. He's just staring at me with a look that I can't decipher.

Jared's POV

Everyone's emotions in the room are running high. Kadance looks terrified. If they keep pushing Kadance, she's going to run. I can tell by her arms that she has recently been cutting more often than not. "Kadance?" I call out to her loudly but in a calm tone receiving a shock look from everyone in the room. I don't think I've ever said a word to Kadance before and she seems utterly surprised.

"Jared?" Her voice isn't louder than a whisper.

"Kadance, for your safety and for our peace of mind can you at least stay with us for a little bit."

"Jared, it's not that I don't want too. It's dangerous if I stay."

"School's out next all next week for Fall break. We will be safe here. I promise. Plus, we still have to work on project for Social Development. All of us really want you to stay. Please."

With fear in her eyes she looks around room at all of us. "I guess I can stay for a week."

Everyone seems relieved that she has agreed to at least stay for a week. I head upstairs to my room, but Kadance stops me. "Jared, can we talk?"

"Yeah. Follow me." I lead her to my room, and she sits next to me on the edge of my bed.

"Ummm... Thank you, but why?" She asks.

"Why what?" I ask her while looking at her.

"Why aren't you mad at me? I mean you have never said a single word to me, and yet you were the kindest person to me downstairs. I thought you didn't like me." Her words hurt me. She thought I didn't like her? Of course, I like her. I think I might like her too much if I'm honest with myself, but I'm also pretty sure that Blayne likes her.

"I'm sorry Kadance. I didn't mean to give you the impression that I didn't like you. I just have a hard time around new people. I'm not mad at you, because there no reason for me to be mad at you. The guys aren't mad at you either."

"Yes, they are." She starts scratching at her scars on arms. She scratches at newer scabs reopening the wounds. I don't think she is purposefully trying to hurt herself at the moment, but it's more of a coping mechanism. I grab her arms and rub my fingers down her scars. She starts crying and I pull her into a hug. "Why Kadance? Why do you do this to yourself?"

"I don't know. It makes me feel again." She cries into my shirt.

"You've been doing it a lot more lately haven't you?" I ask after seeing many new wounds.

"Yes." She whispers. "I don't know what's triggering it more than..." She steps away from me and looks at me with wide eyes. "What is today's date?"

"November 21st, Why?"

She goes completely pale, and you can see the life being drained out of her. "I-I can't breathe." She starts gasping for air.

"Kadance?" I quickly wrap my arms around her, so she doesn't fall.

"I-It sl-slipped my mind. Forgive me Mas..." Before she could finish what she was saying, she passes out.

I quickly laid Kadance on my bed and yelled for the guys to come help me with her upstairs.