Chapter 2

They were losing hope, until one of them, Cleo, noticed something.

A tower.

———————————————

The zombie hermit looked at it, trying to figure out if this was just an illusion, a figment of her imagination, but everytime she closed her eyes, it was still there.

"I found shelter!" She said, pointing towards it, before running towards it in excitement.

A few of them were confused as to why she was running, while the rest just ran with her, excited to finally find shelter.

When they got close, they noticed that the symbol that they found all over the place was placed on the door.

Zedaph hid behind Tango, not sure what to think about this. The tower they found was really ominous looking, at least to him. He tried saying that maybe this wasn't a good idea, along with a couple of the other hermits, but they were quickly shut up by the more excitable hermits.

They almost got into an argument, when Xisuma interfered, saying that this opportunity is too good to pass up. He walked in, soon followed by the rest of hermits, some more reluctant than others. 

The interior was pretty bland, to say the least. Sure, there were some furniture and decorations, but it seemed this was more of a secondary home.

Either way, it seemed abandoned, so the group decided it was up for the taking.

Scar started gathering up all the food they had gathered, placed down a furnace, and started cooking.

Stress started making a place for the group to sleep in, placing down some beds they had gotten while searching for shelter.

Tango and Zedaph gathered up the resources they had, and started crafting weapons and other tools for everyone to use.

False had barricaded the entrance. She and the more combat-inclined hermits stood guard.

Xisuma had gotten on top of a small pillar, and cleared his throat, getting everyone's attention.

"Alright, so, we all agree that something is very wrong with this world?"

A murmur of agreement rippled through the group, and Xisuma nodded before continuing.

"As most of you know, we can't leave for a while. The void matter that makes up the portal needs to replenish, so if we try to go now, it either won't work, or implode, bringing us with it, which is a thing we don't want to happen. Joe or Biffa can explain further for those who are curious."

"So, what's the plan for now?" Jevin asked.

"Right now, it's stick together and spend the night here. I don't think we should make permanent bases here. Once the void matter replenishes, we'll leave. Any questions?"

Silence.

"Alright. Stress and Scar are making food, and Tango and Zed are crafting better tools. Go talk to them if you need anything. I'll be leading a group up into the tower to make sure there are no possible threats."

With that, Xisuma hopped off the pillar, and the rest of the hermits wandered away, talking to each other, and crafting resources.

———————————————

Mumbo was crafting some redstone tools, so he could build something that could help guard the entrance, when he felt someone tap his shoulder.

He turned around, and saw Xisuma, with Iskall and Doc right behind him.

"Think you could come with us?" Xisuma asked, gesturing towards the two with his head.

Mumbo is confused. "Me?" He asks. "Why me?"

"To help check for redstone traps, in case there are some."

"But, Iskall and Doc could do that?" He says, gesturing towards him.

"We figured it would be best to have more than one person who can check for redstone, just in case one of you misses a trap."

Mumbo thought for a bit, before nodding, and got up.

Xisuma nodded in response, and turned towards the stairs, heading up them.

The small group followed.

———————————————

There were no redstone traps, but there seemed to be a lot of personal items.

There were tons of broken picture frames, featuring a few people they don't know.

There's also a couple pieces of TNT, which do worry the small group as to who used to own these.

They also found what seemed to be a broken pair of headphones.

Wonder why'd they keep that?

———————————————

They finally reached the top of the tower. So far, it seems that this place is abandoned, which means that it would be okay for them to stay here.

When they get up the final set of stairs, they find a bedroom.

Well, it's not your normal, run-in-the-mill bedroom, but it's clear someone used to sleep here.

It's made up of blankets and a pillow on the floor, with a closet and various other items scattered around the room.

A quick scan, and they deem this place abandoned.

They look at each other, and nod, and start heading down to give the okay to the others.

Xisuma barely reached the first step, when suddenly—

*thud*