Chapter 5

Doc turned his attention back to the crafting table. 

He had some work to do.

———————————————

It's been about a week now, since they entered the corrupt world.

They all noticed that Grian doesn't really want to talk about whatever happened to this world, which is fine, they aren't going to force him to.

They do hope he opens up to them, though.

Xisuma was taken out of his thoughts when Scar spoke up.

"Uh.. We're kinda.. running out of food, you guys.."

Xisuma got up, walking to the chests that held the food, and, sure enough, there wasn't really a lot left.

He thought for a bit, before scanning the room, his eyes landing on Grian, who was sitting next to Mumbo and Iskall, and began walking towards them.

"Grian, do you think you could take us to the farm you mentioned before?" Xisuma asked him once he walked up to them.

Grian looked at him, before processing the question.

"Um, I could, but.. it would probably be best for me to go alone, so it would be faster.." Grian said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Well, I think it would be best for at least one of us to go with you, so you wouldn't have to take two trips to fill the chest.." Xisuma urged, gesturing towards the large chest.

"If you want, I can go with you?" Iskall proposed, joining the conversation.

Grian looked between the two, seemingly thinking about it, before slowly nodding.

"Alright, then.." He agreed, starting to get up.

"Think I could come, too?" Doc spoke up, tone unreadable.

Grian's wings puffed up a bit. If anybody noticed, no one brought it up.

"I think it's best that only Iskall goes with Grian, so he doesn't have to worry about keeping more than one person safe." Xisuma countered. "Besides, we only have the one chest, I think it might burst if we added more than what we're getting."

Doc looked like he wanted to rebut that, but after a moment of silence, he sighed, looking away.

With that, Grian and Iskall headed out of the tower, towards the farm.

———————————————

It took a lot longer than usual for Grian to get to the farm. Probably because he wasn't flying like he usually was.

When they finally got to the farm, he told Iskall to get an inventory half full of meat, and half full of anything else he could find. Grian didn't know what the hermit's food preferences were, so he just decided to get half of each.

It took awhile, but eventually, they both had an inventory full of food, and were both tired.

Grian sat down next to the sheep farm, Iskall following suit.

They sat in silence, each resting their limbs, before Grian decided to speak.

"..I don't think Doc likes me.." He said, wings curled around him.

Iskall looked at him, pleasantly surprised that Grian spoke up.

"Eh, I wouldn't mind him, he's cold to a lot of people, I'm sure he'll warm up to you soon enough." Iskall reassured, shrugging, but Grian shook his head.

"No, I really think he hates me.." Grian protested.

"..I mean, you did kinda attack us when we first met, so, of course he'll be wary.." Iskall speculated.

"Oh, right.. um.. sorry,, about that.. I-uh.. thought you were someone else..." Grian admitted, his wings wrapped even further around him.

Iskall stayed quiet, processing this. Someone else? Didn't he say there were no other people left in this world?

..Maybe these people were why he didn't want to talk about the symbols..? It was a long shot, but, admittedly, not that far..

..One way to find out..

"..Who..?" Iskall asked.

Silence.

Grian has a distant look in his eyes, but not in a good way. It's as if he's been reminded of something.. something he didn't want to remember..

It's a while before either of them say anything, with Iskall just watching Grian, hoping he'd say something, so he could help him.

"...we should get going..." Grian muttered, getting up, and starting the long walk back to the tower.

Iskall stayed where he was for a moment, before starting after Grian.

Okay, so it appears today isn't the day that Grian opened up to them.

That's.. that's fine. He can take his time.

They'll be waiting.