One

Letting her feet swing from her desk, Day tried containing her excitement as she watched her teacher erase the board and rewrite the date.

There were two things that made her so thrilled: one being the date. In five days she would be walking across the stage to move on to the new chapter of her life. No more high school and no more living at home with her horrid foster parents. The second thing: the woman who wrote the date. The woman with the blonde curly hair was the reason Day hadn't pulled her hair out of her head.

From the first day she walked into her history class, Day had almost fainted within mere seconds at the sight of Mrs. Kennedy. Granted, she was a sweet lady, which made her the crush of almost everyone who saw her from a distance. Her husband was one lucky man.

That's why Day only daydreamed. It was a crush she didn't deny but it was there. Every day it grew stronger, and every day she had to stop herself from blushing when the blue eyed lady looked her way. She couldn't wait to leave.

With her college already selected, she imagined there would be a whole line full of beautiful girls to have new crushes on, hopefully none of them being so out of reach.

"Kill me." Amanda said laying her head on her desk.

Looking over at her friend, Day realized the boys were having fun getting a rise out of her. That wasn't so uncommon. Her friend was a pretty girl, one that liked the attention, so Day only ignored her and moved her eyes back over to the teacher who spoke with some other students about their plans. She wondered where her other classmates were headed after school. Day wasn't one to talk with many people. There was a time a whole group of them hung out every day, but after countless drama and issues her friend group dwindled down to Amanda. She didn't mind though, friends were the least of her concern.

Journalism was on her mind. Traveling the world to get stories that no one wanted to talk about was so compelling. At times she liked to imagine her future self as a real life Lois Lane.

Amanda leaned over interrupting her thoughts, "Why are you wearing that shirt? Are you trying to impress her?"

Scrunching her face, Day looked down at the bright colors. She didn't intentionally wear it for that reason but that would be an added bonus. She wore it with the thought of school being near its' end, wanting everyone to remember her positively even though she wouldn't remember any of them. That was just human nature though, to want to be liked.

"Are you girls so ready for graduation?"

Day perked up and nodded. She wasn't able to speak however as the woman smiled at her. Her look was so classic. Her lips plump and red, her eyes blue and bright. Her voice was even dark and raspy like she was always trying to be seductive.

"She can't talk about anything else." Amanda answered for her friend.

"I'm sure." Ms. Kennedy crossed her arms and smiled, "Do you have plans after?"

Day watched her friend continue talking to the woman, it didn't matter how long she had known her. Talking to her would always be one her biggest hang ups. She was so scared of saying something wrong.

"What about you girly?"

Girly? What kind of nickname was that? It was like what your mom's friends called you to make themselves seem younger. "Berkeley." She finally said looking down at her sweaty hands.

"That's not too far away from here." Ms. Kennedy looked back and gave some of the rowdy boys a glare. "My husband went there."

"How...interesting." Day stuttered.

The woman laughed and patted her shoulder, "Well you two just relax for the day, there's no need to do much since the finals are done." As she turned away she stopped and looked back, "Day do you think you could help me after school today?"

She tried hiding the way her breathing went crazy. "Doing what?"

"I want to spice up the entrance of the school. Hang up a banner for a nice farewell."

Sure." She answered, her face flushed red. "I'm down for anything."

Ms. Kennedy smiled and nodded, "Good to know."

Amanda watched their teacher walk away before she turned her head to her embarrassed friend. "You're down for anything huh?"

Day groaned into her arms as she hid her face. She wouldn't hear the end of that for a while. Why did she have to be such a goof around the woman? She was an A student, she had numerous scholarships and she rarely had any problems standing up and sharing her opinions. How come the woman everyone else found so easy to talk to made her shrink?

Listening to the bell ring after a long class filled with hiding in her own embarrassment, Day followed her friend out of the room. Amanda was already flirting with some guys that were probably wanting her to go hang out with them. She didn't blame them, her friend was beautiful. She was athletic and sassy. It made her a prime target for those horny boys eyes.

"See you after school Day."

Looking back at the woman leaning on the door frame, Day wondered how anyone could have a smile so addictive. It was warm and nurturing unlike a lot of people who's smiles came off fake and unbelievable. Hers was so believable that she sometimes wondered if the woman was flirting. She could never tell because of her sweetness to every person that meet her. She realized how nice she was and it made having a crush very difficult.

Realizing she was just standing in the middle of the hallway staring, she waved at the woman who's figure was drowned out by kids walking in front of her to classroom. Between their bodies though she saw her wave back.

Biting her bottom lip and smiling, Day ran to catch up with Amanda who was already at her locker looking at crumbled papers. "When do we do a clean out, I'll need a whole trash can!"

Day tried to hide her excitement as she entered her combination. "Probably tomorrow." She looked over and raised her eyebrows, "you'll need a whole dumpster actually."

"When you go to college you'll need to take this with you."

Taking the picture of Amanda's favorite boy band, Day rolled her eyes.

"Don't you dare those men are sacred!"

"Men huh?" She looked it over and scrunched her nose. "Is that what they are?"

Snatching it back, Amanda slammed her locker and pointed at her friend. "You don't appreciate the fine things in life."

Closing her own locker quietly Day shook her head with amusement.