Two

Looking through the gaps in her locker door Day watched her teacher straighten out a giant blue banner, she couldn't make out the words on it but she wasn't very concerned about that. All she could think about was the woman everyone said bye to as they left. Her sweet smile bidding them a good day.

"She's going to hang it without you."

Jumping at her friends voice Day gave her a death glare before closing the metal door. "I wasn't watching her."

"Sure." Amanda blew a bubble with her gum and leaned on the wall. "Want to come over after? My dad is down so we will probably go get snow cones."

That wasn't a bad idea. "Sure." Day smiled at her friend and looked back over at the woman. "I'll try to get this over with quickly."

Rolling her eyes Amanda starting walking the opposite way, spinning her keys between her fingers. "I'm sure you will."

Waiting until the doors closed off the bright sun shining through Day gazed down the long hallway. It seemed shorter before, but now that she was thinking about walking down it, it seemed to inlong. It stretched out like a red carpet to Ms.Kennedy. Everyone else finally gone from the school leaving only a few teachers in their rooms and janitors whistling quietly by the bathrooms. "Good afternoon!" The woman beamed opening a packet of tacks.

If there was ever a chance that her inhaler would be dug out of the bottom of her back pack it would have been right in that moment. Day's face went red and her blue eyes looked down at her feet.

"Are you alright?" Ms. Kennedy asked. Her voice was worried but her face wasn't. She had seen the girl's blushing face before.

Clearing her throat to try and get air into her lungs Day finally gave in and opened up her backpack. She didn't want to look like a complete dork in front of the woman but she imagined she already did, might as well breathe better while she was at it.

Finally finding the old medicine she shook it and put it in her mouth. The woman's eyes meeting hers as the medicine hit the back of her throat.

Ms. Kennedy looked back down at her banner.

Day didn't know how only the simple words "good afternoon." Could result in her breathing almost shutting down, but it was a common occurrence. She didn't even need her inhaler when she worked out in Athletics. Why now brain? Why now?

"Does it look too corny?"

"N-no it looks great." Day responded a little too quickly.

Ms. Kennedy nodded and put her hands on her hips. "Do you think the outside entrance would be a good spot?" When she didn't hear an answer she snapped her fingers getting the girl's attention back on her. "Cat got your tongue?"

"Sorry-yes." Day grabbed the banner for her and started walking out. She could hear the woman's shoes click behind her and suddenly she became self conscious about the way she walked. Did she walk right? We're her steps too small? Too big? Her pants felt a little saggy. Should she pull them up?

"Do you think you could climb up? My shoes aren't really meant for that." She grabbed the ladder and brought it over. Not even looking over for Day's answer.

Would this be the appropriate time to share her fear of heights?

Tilting her head up to see how far the ladder took her she figured it would be best to not look like a scaredy-cat in front of her teacher. Since the Monday was over she only had four days left to make herself look like a fool. Being too afraid to climb a ladder would be a big mistake.

Wiping her sweaty hands on her skinny jeans, Day took a deep breathe and put one foot forward on the first step.

"Do you want me to do it?" Ms. Kennedy asked. She leaned on the other side with a patient face.

"No I got it!" Day looked up again and took one more step slowly. She knew she was only two steps up but her mind was already scared to look down.

"Girly I'm holding it steady."

Closing her eyes May held her breathe and climbed the ladder as quickly as possible. She couldn't let her believe she was afraid, and as she reached the top she smiled. Something she never believed she could do she accomplished- looking down at the woman her eyes widened. Her stomach tied in a knot and her breathing almost stopped as she felt a breeze push her hair back.

"Day are you ok?" The voice asked, only a little quoted this time around.

"Fine!" She yelled back. Her own voice was filled with panic however, no matter how hard she tried to hide it...she was terrified.

"Just look around Day!" Her teacher yelled up. "Can you see everything?"

Opening her eyes slowly she nodded. She could see everything. A lot more she expected to see. Cars in a line a few streets over, trees that covered houses and the parking lot where her fellow classmates speed off. She could even see the baseballs field that was adjacent to the school. A boy was going to bat, one of the best at their school.

"What do you see Day?" Ms. Kennedy asked.

"They are at baseball practice!" The young girl smiled as he hit that ball out of the park! It even looked like it was coming closer. Tilting her head Day wondered how close it was getting. It looked far, but as seconds went on it got bigger, until it covered her whole vision. Hitting her directly in her head. Loosing her balance everything went black as she fell off the ladder backwards.

It wasn't like her mind went completely blank as the wind knocked out her, she did feel her teacher run over to her and kneel down. She could hear her repeat her name. This time her voice was really concerned. But even her voice became non existent as Day's eyes closed and her mind decided to go vacant.

*unedited

*unedited.*