Eight

Day rubbed her tired eyes, she had felt herself falling asleep but she lifted her head slowly and sighed hearing the laughing from the TV, she realized Cheers was a good show and it had some funny moments but the amount of times the audience laughed was too many.

Looking over at Doris she raised her eyebrows seeing the pregnant woman's body sprawled out, her mouth hanging open as she snored loudly. If she thought 50's Doris was different from her Doris, then this Doris was REALLY different.

Getting up slowly from the couch that creaked, Day tried her best to move quietly to the door. She needed to get out of here and go home, she didn't know if time was moving realistically so she had to get home as quickly as possible. She had a wonderful speech prepared for graduation and she was hoping to give Ms. Kennedy a big hug to let tell her bye.

That probably made her sound like a kid, dreaming about a hug. But it was the truth. She felt giddy from the idea.

"Where you going?"

Holding onto the door knob Day looked back at the woman who sat up with a yawn. "I'm sorry I didn't want to wake you up. Thank you for being so sweet, but I really should be going."

"It's a gnarly thunderstorm out there though." Doris watched lighting light up her small apartment before grunting at the feeling pain coming from her lower abdomen.

Honestly Day wanted to leave, she wanted to go back to the park and try to find a way home but the way Doris watched the rain fall made her sigh and lock the door back. She looked dull, lonely even. There was no need to rush. "Are you sure?"

Yawning again the woman rubbed her belly, "If you were going to murder me you would have by now."

Day started to laugh at the joke but stopped when there didn't appear to be any humor on her face. Doris seemed melancholy. "Thank you for everything. The lasagna was awesome."

"It was freezer burnt."

"A little."

Doris finally smiled and kicked her feet up. "You don't seem that broken up about your break up."

Day sat back down on the couch facing the other blonde. "It was bound to happen." She had to admit, she was very good at lying. "You seem a little effected by yours."

Letting out a little whisper Doris covered her face as she started crying.

Confused by the turn the younger girl scooted closer automatically and patted her back. It was odd to see her cry because she never could have imagined Mrs. Kennedy to cry. "It's ok."

"Its not ok! I didn't want kids." She said between sobs, the tears running down her cheeks. "He said we could make it work and then he left!"

"I thought you said you kicked him out."

"Well ya, but he went pretty happily!" Doris grabbed her belly and scrunched her face like she was in pain.

Day tried to reassure her the best she could. This was definitely not one of her strong suits.

"I'm never going to find someone that loves me like my parents love each other." Doris let her head fall over on the girl's shoulder. Her tears quickly trailed down wetting her shirt.

Looking over at the picture on the wall she smiled. "I'm sure not everything was easy for them."

"Whatever, they were freaking perfect. They had everything figured out."

Making Doris sit up, Day let their eyes meet. "I can't speak for your parents but I can speak for you. You are going to find someone really soon. And she's going to love you more than any man ever could."

Confused Doris sniffled. She wasn't sure where she was going with that. "I don't swing that way ."

"I meant her." Day pointed at the woman's belly.

"Oh." Laughing she let her hand rest. "Ya I guess so." She let her lip curl as she wiped her tears. "Do you want to feel her kick?"

Trying not to make a face as she felt Doris take her hand and lead it to her stomach Day braced herself. She didn't realize how tense she was until she felt a small thud against her palm. Laughing Day brought up her other hand hoping it would happen again. "Does it hurt?"

"Depends on what she kicks."

Feeling the kick again Day smiles brightly at the older woman. "That's crazy!" Looking back down at her stomach Day blinked a few times in thought. If Doris was pregnant and it was 1983 and her mother was...was this Ms. Kennedy? Bringing her hands away Day raised an eyebrow. "That's crazy..."

"You said that already." Doris let her hand hold onto the arm of the couch as she gritted her teeth.

"Are you ok?"

"Ya, it's nothing." She grunted slightly as her hands turned white from holding onto the couch.

Day let her eyes widen. "That doesn't look like nothing."

Finally letting mouth open Doris yelled out in pain as she threw her head back. "Day...I need the...Hospital..."

"Are you having the baby?"

"HOSPITAL!"

Jumping up Day took no time to grab the keys and open the door. "Do you have like a bag or something? Oh god What do I do? Should I feed your fish?"

Doris leaned against the wall and threw her daggers With her eyes. "My bag is in the corner of my bedroom. I don't know you but I will slap you."

"Ok go to the car I'll be right there!" Day ran to the messed up room and made an Ah-ha noise as the threw it over her shoulders. She didn't know much about having babies but she already knew it made Doris very angry. Stopping at the round bowl Day opened the fish food and shook a few flakes before running out the door.

She just hoped she didn't have the baby in the car because that would mean...oh god, was she going to help her teacher be delivered?

oh god, was she going to help her teacher be delivered?

*unedited.*