Five

"I just needed some air."

Doris looked around before smiling, "There is air inside too you know?"

Bending down slightly and resting her hands on her knees Day nodded. She couldn't find the humor. She was completely lost in her own head and confused.

Doris watched her for a moment before turning and opening the door. "Let's go to the rink shall we?"

She didn't want to go to some party she wanted to go home. She wanted to blink back up the ladder that she was so scared of before. Do it again so she wouldn't be in her situation. Tell her teacher she was in fact afraid of heights and she shouldn't go up.

Hearing the front door close again Day pushed her hair back behind her ears and stood up straight. Doris walked out with her purse in her hands and a scarf covering her hair. She was so beautiful.

William thought so as well, opening the door for her before going to the drivers side. "You'll have to sit on my lap Day." Doris put her bright sunglasses on and looked over at her. "I don't bite."

Gulping the younger girl glanced around wondering if she was serious.

"Isn't she a beaut?" William shook his head and put his keys in his ignition. "She may only hold two people but she makes up for it in performance all right."

The two girls ignored him and stared at each other. Doris's stoic face daring her to say no.

Finally giving in the girl groaned and got in carefully. Sitting on the older woman's lap she tried not being too heavy. Holding herself up to a hover until the woman's hands pulled her down by her hips. "You won't hurt me."

Closing her eyes Day ignored the hands that stayed grasping her hips as the car backed up out of the driveway. Her hands felt soft like the Doris she knew but it was still different.

Whenever her teacher would accidentally touch her when she passed by her heart would almost jump out of her chest to chase her, but now when Doris's hands were deliberately on her she wondered why her heart wasn't doing that.

"Have you ever seen a car like mine?" William asked enjoying the breeze. "The nice salesman said the color was one of a kind."

Feeling her skin jump as she was about to answer, Day turned her head to look at the woman who gathered the younger girl's hair into her hands and hold it back for her as the wind became harsher from the speed. She had the right idea, putting her beautiful curls under a scarf.

She wanted to respond to the woman's husband but she was unable to as Doris's fingernails kept brushing past her skin as she ran her fingers through her hair, she acted like she was trying to hold it all back, Almost as an excuse to keep touching.

It wasn't long after that, that they went into a small parking lot. A lot of younger adults went into the building, smiling and laughing.

Jumping over the side of his car and running around William helped the two out of his pride and joy, putting his hat back on it the process. "John and Mary should be inside already. They are always so terribly early."

"Too gay for me." Doris commented taking off her scarf and sunglasses.

Furrowing her brows Day followed them inside. Did she mean happy?

"You two go find our booth I'll go get us some cola's." William smiled and waved at some men  by the back, leaving the two alone.

"I can't stand Mary." Doris whispered looking around. "Let's go powder our noses." Taking her hand and leading her the opposite direction the younger girl watched the stares from woman leaving. They really did not like her clothes.

Doris closed the door behind them and went to a small velvet stool where she sat down to look in the mirror. There were a few other spots like that but they were empty. "Come and sit dear."

Following her directions Day looked at the mirror and sighed at her appearance. She imagined being back in her time where she knew She would see Ms. Kennedy, she would be frantically trying to fix herself and make herself look as appealing as possible. Now just didn't seem like the time. Looking over at the other blondes mirror Day sighed. She tried to hide her feelings but her eyes were to big and noticeable for that to happen.

"Why do you seem so troubled?"

"I don't like it here." Day answered looking at the older woman, her face was confused but she was still as gorgeous as ever. "I want to go home."

"There's not anything here that you like?" Doris asked watching her through her own mirror.

Day waited a moment before shaking her head.

Doris didn't seem offended she only gave a weak smile. "Well I've only known you for a few hours but I think you are terribly different."

"Terribly?"

"Terribly in a good way don't you know?" The older woman took her lipstick out of her purse and rolled the bottom to have it stick out further.

Day wanted to give back that compliment but she didn't know how. She didn't want to be here, she wanted to be with her Doris.

"It's like god just flicked you into my world." Doris mumbled letting the color slide on her lips.

"God must have a sense of humor."

"I think he does." Doris said moving her legs to face the younger girl's, she brought her closer with her hand. "Can I?"

Nodding Day tried to be completely still as she ran her own lipstick over the girl's lips. Doris tried to concentrate but every once in a while her blue eyes flickered up to meet hers. "God says feelings like these are supposed to be only between a man and a woman."

She said nothing as they searched each other's eyes.

"He says it's wrong." Doris looked back down at the girl's half red lips.

Ignoring those words Day went back to her other ones. "Feelings?"

"Yes, the ones only men and women feel towards each other."

The shorter girl tried to break the tension. "God must be gay."

Doris smiled letting her own face come closer to Day's. "Are you mocking me Miss. Fields?"

She said nothing in return as she moved her own face closer, it was like a magnet pulling them together. The pull so strong she almost couldn't stop herself from leaning faster.

 The pull so strong she almost couldn't stop herself from leaning faster

*unedited*