Six

The magnet that pulled them together was tugging. Even though Day felt a sting of guilt in her chest, the strong force beckoned her to pull in. The woman's bright red lips got closer and closer to her smaller ones but just as they were about to touch Day looked down, causing the lips to brush her eyelid.

Doris leaned back with an empty face. She only watched the girl who kept looking down. she wanted to say something, know what she did wasn't wrong and that her feelings weren't out of place but she didn't know where to start.

"You would have regretted that." Day said.

"I know." Turning back to the mirror Doris took a deep breathe and started fixing the smudge from the wandering color. She couldn't explain how the felt or what she felt. There were too many emotions flowing inside of her and she frankly didn't understand any of them.

Day let her eyes flicker up to watch the other blonde. She felt ashamed. Almost as if she was cheating on the Doris from her world, her teacher whom she had no relationship with. She shouldn't have felt that way but she did. And she knew this Doris would have felt the same.

"I love my husband you know."

The young girl nodded. "He's a great man." She scratched her ear as a woman came in and sat at the other end. She seemed to ignore them but she was in ear shot, so Day scooted up in her chair and leaned forward. Lowering her voice to keep their conversation private, "You might find me exotic and different but you don't feel the same about me as you do him." Day took the woman's hand and forced her to look back at her. "What is it?"

Her blue eyes were like a river as they teared up. She didn't give them a chance to overflow however as she patted the moisture away. "We've been married for a few years now." Doris was almost surprised as the words started slipping out of her own mouth. "My mother was in a heartless marriage and I am so lucky to be with someone like William. He has his faults but mine are worse."

"I don't think that's-"

"I'm cold Day, I can be ill-mannered and childish. He puts up with it though, Heaven knows why."  The older woman rubbed her head with her free hand as she tried to make the pounding in her head go away.

The lady a few stools down closed her powder box and scooted the chair back, leaving swiftly so the two could be alone. It stayed silent for a few seconds however as they sat. "Everyone can be like that Doris." Day finally spoke softly.

"All his brothers have three children or more."
She lifted her head andsmiled at herself in the mirror. "I haven't given him any."

Day was taken back but she decided against saying anything. It was a different thought process than what she was used to. She was afraid anything she said wouldn't be of use, because of how differently she felt. No matter how much she wanted to share or how much she wanted to tell her things like that shouldn't matter she knew the 1950's were like a whole other country. Religion, equality, politics...Everything was regarded differently than what she believed in. It would be of no use to argue or throw in her opinions.

"I'm pregnant." Doris's face went blank. She stared at herself in the mirror but was in a world of her own. Lost in her own thoughts. "I'm afraid I'll loose this one too."

She tried not showing her surprise, "So you haven't told him?"

She shook her head almost ashamed.

Day smiled, "How far along?"

"Almost two months."

Getting up and grabbing the woman's hands she persuaded her to get up, "Come on, you have to go tell him."

Doris scooted in her chair and looked down at the younger girl, her heart was jumping, she was excited to share the news with him for fear of him to face another disappointment but there was no one else she wanted to face the scares with. He was her rock. "You really think so?"

"I know so." Day gave a smile of encouragement. Her eyes flowed with positivity and Doris felt more at ease.

The two walked out of the powder room and into the main area, it was slightly darker from the sun setting outside but everyone danced around happily and drank. Laughs filled the room as Doris smoothed her dress as she caught sight of her husband. "Wish me Luck."

Day crossed her arms and watched her run over to the man, he swung her around and bent down lower to hear what she was saying. His face lit up. He spun her around once more and led her to the dance floor where he jumped around like a maniac. Even Doris face filled with a large smile as he held her tightly. Day couldn't help but smile either. She was so happy, and that made her happy.

She imagined if that was her Doris it would make her feel differently, but-

She still didn't know. Was that her Doris?

Was her Doris pregnant?

Getting out of her own head she realized the music had changed, it was slow and all the young adults around her danced with their partners, a slow two step as they floated along the dance floor. She watched as Doris laid her head on her husbands shoulder, her eyes opening to meet Day's.

They smiled at each other through the people that danced between them, soon the people were blocking the whole view so Day nodded her head, it was her cue to go. She had to find a way to get back home. Wake herself up so she wouldn't be in the crazy dream anymore.

Turning her body to leave Day's eyes grew wide as a man danced wildly beside her, he wasn't synced up at all with the music but he seemed to be too far gone by alcohol to know. His arms flew behind him smacking Day right in the nose. She fell backwards into the hard wooden floor and everything went black again.

 She fell backwards into the hard wooden floor and everything went black again

*unedited*