Nine

"Just hold my hands."

Day kneeled down in front of the woman and took her hands into her own, they felt different than the others. More callused from physical work and sweater because of her pain. She was taking it like a champ however, breathing through the contraction that shot up on the screen. "Should I call someone for you?"

"No." Doris mustered followed by her eyes squeezing shut. "My parents will be here later."

Biting her own lip as Doris squeezed her hand Day tried not to make a sound. She would feel bad complaining about her squeezing her hand too hard when she was going through so much pain, luckily the nurse worked quickly behind her. Getting a a couple of shots lined up on a table to help with her pain.

The hospital room was yellow tinted and covered in pink cabinets, nothing was appealing about the environment.

"I'm making the right decision right?"

Day let her mouth hang open as she looked at the woman, her hair was starting to drench in her own sweat and her eyes were puffy from crying. She felt absolutely horrible for her, "Which decision?"

"All of them."

With how much pain she was facing Day let her raspy voice echo through her head. "Everything happens for a reason."

"Alright Ms. Miller lets have a baby!" The doctor put the mask over his smile and waited as the nurses put his gloves on for him.

"I'll go wait in the-"

"No please stay in here." Doris squeezed her hand tighter. "I don't have anyone else."

Nodding as a response the young girl turned to a nurse who held out some supplies. She had to put her hair up and cover her face and clothes. What was she supposed to do? What if she fainted? At least she was in a hospital.

"Alright on the count of three you need to give a big push."

Looking up at the ceiling as she felt nails dig into her hand Day squinted trying not to look over at the other end of the table. It felt wrong. This has to be a dream, just an elaborate one with a cruel punch line. It was too weird, she was in a delivery room with a stranger that was delivering her future history teacher.

She never realized how ironic it was that Ms.Kennedy taught history.

Realizing Doris was screaming again, Day looked down at her and raised her hand up to push her hair back. She was surprised she didn't slap her away. Watching her however really opened her mind. She couldn't imagine being in the bed herself going through something so traumatic. Women are amazing.

Hearing a cry Day couldn't stop herself from turning her head. A baby that looked almost purple cried loudly. It looked gross honestly, covered in so much gross things, but it was amazing to see.

"It's a healthy girl!" The doctor exclaimed holding her up for the nurses to work around him.

The way the baby squirmed and cried until it was placed on Doris chest. She couldn't look away. Life was incredible.

Doris was probably thinking the same thing as she cried. Holding the baby to her closely. All that pain suddenly worth it for a tiny human that relied only on others for survival.

"Do you want to hold her?" Doris lifted her head slightly and smiled at the girl.

She wanted to say no, but for some reason she nodded. She had never held a baby that little before but Doris grunted as she scooted over for Day to lay next to her. The nurse helped them switch over and suddenly the baby was in her arms. It cried again but Day only watched it with wide eyes.

"What should I name her?" Doris asked, her voice shaky and dry. "I was thinking Sam."

"Why not Doris?" Day replied letting her finger come up to compare it to the her hand. It was so tiny, her little fingers wrapping around her and squeezing lightly. "Like you and your mother."

The blonde woman laughed slightly and closed her eyes, "Doris it is then."

"I'm sorry your boyfriend didn't want to be apart of this."

"I'm sorry you had to be apart of it. I basically steal you off of the streets and make you drive me to the hospital and listen to me scream for a couple of hours."

"It was amazing." Day whispered. "She's opening her eyes! Are they supposed to do that?"

"Yes." Doris laughed and took a cup from the nurse. She seemed to be more excited about the ability to drink something.

"She's looking at me." Day whispered. Furrowing her eyes brows she quickly handed the baby back over as she started to cry. "She doesn't like me."

"She's just hungry." The nurse said helping Doris unbutton her hospital gown.

Turning around so she wouldn't see anything Day started taking off her gloves. "I think I'll go get a sprite now."

Undoing her hair and throwing her own stuff into a bin nearby Day stopped at the door and looked back. Doris held her daughter comfortably in her arms and watched her eat. Her smile radiated and she truest seemed happy. That in turn made Day smile.

Pausing though and looking around Day wondered if that meant something was about to knock her out. There was no one else in the hallways so she backed up slowly and grabbed onto the wall. She didn't want to be hit again, she wanted to go back to the park and figure out how to get back to her time. Let things go back to normal.

"You did a real good job in there."

Seeing the doctor from earlier sign some papers Day walked over slowly and smiled. "It was crazy."

"You never get tired of it that's for sure." His mustache only brought out his happiness more. "Most people freak out the first time around but you held your own. Are you in the health field?"

"No."

"You should consider it." He winked before taking the clipboard off of the cabinet and walking away. Already off to his next client.

Sighing Day decided she really did need something to drink, until she slipped backwards on the wet floor.

*unedited

*unedited.*