chapter 2: a good time

Emilia's buns were slightly off-putting.

"You look like that chick from Star Wars," August laughed, taking a bite of her apple while amusedly staring at Emilia who was standing at the mirror, adjusting the two buns on top of her head.

"Or is it Star Trek?" Peyton asked, pulling up her ripped jeans and hopping around so they would go over her butt. "Jesus, these are small," she muttered.

"First of all, does it matter which fucking movie? Second of all, I think I look cute. You guys are just hating," Emilia said, dusting her freckles with sparkly highlight. She never failed to look like a fairy.

Peyton stepped towards her and reached her hands out to fix Emilia's black flyways on the side of her head. "No, we are simply observing. Right, August?"

August stood up and tossed the apple core into the trash. "Right, observing that you got kicked off the Star Wars spaceship and turned into a manic pixie girl from Tumblr."

"Don't act like you two didn't spend the majority of your fourteenth year in life reblogging sad shit on Tumblr," Emilia retorted, slipping her bare feet into her crocs.

Rolling her eyes in return, August stepped up to the mirror and placed in her earrings, staring at herself through her thick lashes. She had tried her best to do her eyebrows, but she never seem satisfied with them so she had impatiently given up and just left them how they were. She had applied a soft pink eyeshadow to her eyes and some Carmex to her lips, calling it quits after that. Her eyes seemed even darker than usual, the blue tint barely visible. She worried that maybe the choice of pink eyeshadow was wrong for her eye color.

"Stop worrying," Peyton whispered to her with one of August's necklaces in her hand that she didn't even ask to retrieve from her jewelry box. Standing behind August and stretching her arms in front of the brunette, she placed the necklace onto her chest and clasped it behind her neck. She fixed the back of August's hair and looked at her through the mirror. "You look good, August."

August took the black flower charm of the necklace between her fingers and tried to listen to her friend's words. She wasn't too worried about her looks; she was just not looking forward to being social.

Peyton placed her hands on August's shoulders that were blanketed by her light brown sweater. "We will have a good time, okay?"

Emilia came up from behind, now wearing a black long-sleeved, turtleneck shirt with a soft pink plaid jacket. "Yea, we're gonna have a good time. I mean, look how fucking good we look!"

Each of the girls looked at their own reflections in the mirror, and August picked at the loose strings in her very ripped up, baby blue jeans. "Yea but..." she began, looking back up in the mirror and flipping her short hair over her shoulder, "I look better than each and every one of you bitches."

They all laughed which made the tension in August's stomach ease slightly. "Conceited hoe," Peyton remarked, pinching at August's side before turning away to slip on her shoes.

A good time, August thought to herself as Emilia leaned herself closer in the mirror, dusting on even more highlight to her cheeks. She breathed in slowly and breathed out even more slowly, as she looked away from her friend and back at her own dark blue eyes in the mirror. "A good time."

"Plus, you know there will be some cute girls there," Peyton chimed. Bending down, she picked up August's black coat and threw it at her without warning.

August caught the coat by sheer luck. She slipped her arm into it and pulled it over her shoulders. She felt weird putting a coat on in October, since this time of year it would still be hot and humid in her hometown in Texas. But this was New York, and it was getting chilly outside—fast. "And there will be cute guys there, too, for you straighties," she joked.