chapter 15: hands around her throat

A pain in her wrist woke her.

August's eyes snapped open as she looked up to see that her hand was handcuffed to the bedpost.

"What the fuck?!" she exclaimed, immediately waking up and violently tugging her pained wrists against the handcuffs, struggling to get loose. Her breathing quickened as she confusedly looked around the empty room. "Willow?!"

But the woman was nowhere to be found. She tried to lean over as far as she could to peer into the living room to see if the woman was watching TV or something of such. "Willow?!" she yelled louder but was only met with her echoes through the hotel room.

A thumping sounded out in her chest, the rabbit's foot hitting her ribcage repeatedly. She was so confused and was going into a psychotic breakdown at the fact that she had woken up completely alone and handcuffed. Willow had told her the previous night that she wouldn't handcuff her, and she never remembered the woman changing her mind before they both fell asleep.

Trying to stable her breathing, August glanced over as a white piece of paper laying on the nightstand beside her caught her eyes. Leaning forward, she grabbed the note with her shaky hand and brought it up to her face, reading the wide and curly letters scrawled across the paper.

"Had to take care of some urgent business. Will be back around lunch, I left one of your hands free so you could have some fun in your alone time," August read the note aloud, her voice raspy. Her cheeks tinged at the woman's words that caused her embarrassment even when written in ink. She stared at the winky face sitting at the end of the sentence, and she imagined the woman and the way she had winked at the waitress at the diner in Colorado.

She crumpled up the paper as much as she could with one hand and tossed it to the ground, scoffing in anger as she threw her head back, closing her eyes as she laid there in distress. As she raised her head up to look at the clock on the wall, she saw that it was 10 o'clock. She could have been facing two or more hours of being handcuffed to that bed.

She had to get out of those metal chains.

Her eyes darted between the space around her, looking for anything in arm's reach that she could use to unlock the cuff on her wrist. The only thing she could reach was the nightstand beside her that contained one drawer.

Leaning over the side of the bed, August extended her arm as far as she possibly could until she reached the bronze latch of the drawer, pulling it open only to be greeted by a completely empty drawer.

"Fuck," she hissed, slamming the drawer closed as hard as she could and wondering why the woman had a completely empty drawer until she remembered that the place was just a hotel and not where the woman permanently lived. As the drawer came to a harsh and loud close, her angry thoughts were interrupted by the light sound of something metal moving inside the drawer. The sound was nearly inaudible.

Her left eyebrow raised as her eyes glanced at the drawer that she thought she had found empty. Quickly reaching over and pulling the drawer open again, she was still met with an empty drawer. But as her eyes further scrutinized the wooden drawer, she realized that even with the drawer pulled out as far as possible, there was still a bit of space left in the very back that wasn't visible from where she was laying.

She hastily reached her hand inside the depth of the drawer, fingers tapping along the surface to try to find the key she swore she heard, when they came across something too thin to be a key. Disappointed but still slightly hopeful, she took the slender object between her fingers and brought it out, seeing that it was a black bobby pin. "Out of all things..." she muttered, staring at the pin with squinted eyes as if it were mocking her.