chapter 32: an eye for an eye

Her heart was aching in her chest at the thought that she might soon find her love horribly injured, or even worse—dead.

Her black mustang couldn't go any faster. It dipped between honking cars and through red lights and past stop signs. She was exceeding the speed limit by twice its number.

She had never experienced such an emergency in her life. She felt as if her world was crashing down in front of her, the most important thing in her life in the hands of someone who wanted to quench it. So many thoughts flashed in her mind of what could have been possibly happening to her beloved girl in that very moment. Her face twisted as she felt a lump form in her throat. She had never felt so scared and unsure and helpless in all her years of living. The life of the person she loved most was dangling right in front of her, and she was running full speed at it, unsure if she would make it in time or if that person's life would be cut short. And it would be all because of her. The guilt she felt in her chest from her awareness that it was all her fault that all of this had happened to the innocent girl only made her press the pedal even harder.

The black mustang carried her at lightning speed to the dirtiest part of the city. This part of town was nothing but ghetto car shops, run-down factories, and more importantly, Rick's gang's territory.

She squeezed the steering wheel, not even sure of where exactly she needed to go first. Her uncertainty dissipated as she saw Rick's car parked in front of a small building that looked like some sort of warehouse. She quickly pulled up, her heart picking up speed. Yanking her keys out of the ignition, she hastily opened her armrest to grab her gun.

It wasn't there.

"Shit," she hissed, rummaging through the contents of her armrest before realizing it really was not in there. She must have left it at Ronnie's. She decided that she couldn't waste any time, that she would have to rely on herself as a weapon. The most important thing was getting to August first, and she could figure out the rest later.

She jumped out of her car and slammed the door shut, ignoring the icy, infant January air and her vibrating heart as she jogged towards the door of the warehouse, letting her hand rest on the cold handle.

She froze.

What if when she opened this door, she was face-to-face with August's dead body? What if her love was lying on the floor behind that door, waiting for her in a pool of her own blood?

Willow pursed her lips and clenched all the muscles in her body, bracing herself for whatever may have been behind that cold metal door.

The door hit the inside wall with a loud slam before she could initially register what she saw.

The room was dark and just as cold as the outside, but in the middle a few yards directly in front of her she saw two figures under a dim lightbulb. It was August, tied to a chair with her face in a contorted and fearful expression, and Rick crouched in front of her legs, his hand creeping up her thigh. Rage seared through Willow at the sight of someone else's dirty hands touching her girl in places she is only to be touched by her.

The sound of the door slamming caused August's head to jerk up and her eyes widen at seeing Willow. Rick only turned his head slightly over his shoulder, not bothering to turn all the way as he already knew who it was.

"Get your fucking hand off of her," Willow growled, anger fueling her veins like gasoline.

Rick let his hand slowly slide off August's thigh, causing the shaking August to let out a cry. She felt so relieved to see Willow, like she was a knight in shining armor there to save her princess.